Damn Movie, get out of my head!

Movie filter: Help me find the name of the movie where all I remember is that it featured Asian actors, was shot in Asia and had a looooong climatic shootout in a field outside a village.

I have been searching all afternoon, but to no avail and its driving me insane. I thought it was Chow Yun Fat, but not so sure after reading up on his filmography on wikipedia.

I may be confusing this with other similar films, but just throwing it out in case it helps [a word of caution again, my brain my be stitching scenes from multiple movies]:

1. The film features the main character as a killer/mob member
2. The hero is an undercover cop or has a friend who is an undercover cop. A vague recollection that the friend does not want to testify against the boss again, having been injured once

The most vivid recollection is the long shootout between the two main characters outside a village in a village, where the hero finally kills the villain and his henchmen.

Movie buffs, do you know this one?
posted by theobserver to Media & Arts (14 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Is it Kung Fu Hustle?
posted by pink candy floss at 9:40 PM on May 8, 2012

@pink candy floss: Nope. It was not a martial arts film, more a "gun-fights" movie.
posted by theobserver at 9:47 PM on May 8, 2012

Okay. Next guess. Hard Boiled? Chow Yun Fat. John Woo. Endless gunfight.
posted by pink candy floss at 9:55 PM on May 8, 2012

Do you remember what language you watched it in?

Were there any non-Asian actors in the cast that you remember?
posted by fragmede at 9:57 PM on May 8, 2012

I don't think its Hard Boiled, but will watch that (The Killers and other John Woo movie endings as well).

@fragmede - I watched it in English, I think. Also, the cast was mostly Asian (at least the key characters).
posted by theobserver at 10:41 PM on May 8, 2012

It would help to know how long ago you saw it, and the circumstances.

When you say you saw it in English: was it dubbed?
posted by Mezentian at 11:14 PM on May 8, 2012

You totally described The Killer and Hard Boiled. Or any other John Woo movie of the era.

Actually, I think what you mean is Time & Tide.

I own it. It has exactly what you described as well.
posted by OnTheLastCastle at 11:18 PM on May 8, 2012 [1 favorite]

I am 100% sure the climax of the movie was outside the city - distinctly remember a under-construction unit with lots of trees around. The Killer and Hard Boiled had endings in a church and in some other building in the city.

Alas, its not Time & Tide either.

@Mezentian: I don't remember where I saw it, but it sure wasn't in the theatre.

@pink candy floss: On second thought, the final fight was more of a fist fight than a running gun battle.
posted by theobserver at 11:56 PM on May 8, 2012

Possibly A Better Tomorrow or Infernal Affairs?
posted by princeoftheair at 12:09 AM on May 9, 2012

Just in case, Tears of the Black Tiger?
posted by ChuraChura at 5:37 AM on May 9, 2012

Longshot: Sukiyaki Western Django? Filmed in Asia, mostly Asian cast, but filed in English (rather than being dubbed), IIRC.
posted by AmandaA at 6:31 AM on May 9, 2012

It sounds like Flash Point (07 Yip HKG/CHN) starring Donnie Yen to me. It was on Netflix Watch Instantly some months back and the climax takes places in a field.
posted by dgeiser13 at 6:49 AM on May 9, 2012

At first, I thought you might have been thinking of this movie, but on second thought, probably not. I'm going to throw it out there anyhow, just in case: The Good, the Bad, and the Weird.
posted by adamrice at 7:42 AM on May 9, 2012

dgeiser13: That's it!!!

Flash Point it is - gonna watch again.
posted by theobserver at 9:00 AM on May 9, 2012

« Older I would like to adopt a smell ...   |  I've got a four-hour layover a... Newer »