We can't take it with us.
May 7, 2012 5:06 PM Subscribe
Please teach me Apartment Showing 101 so that I can end my lease and move far, far away.
posted by deludingmyself to Home & Garden (13 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
We live on the top floor of a 1910-era house divided into 4 units in Oakland, CA. We're moving, but our lease isn't up yet, so to not be liable for the remaining 6 months, our landlord says we'll need to find a replacement party to sign a new lease*. Long story short, I'd like to clean the place up, take some pictures, and hold a showing by Memorial Day weekend with the hopes of having the place rented by July 1 (we're leaving end of June). I'm looking for best tips and ideas for what we should we do to maximize our chances of securing a renter - in Craigslist ads, photo taking, cleanup, packing and/or donating furniture either before or after the showing, etc.
Possibly relevant details:
- The house is old and in OK but not great repair, but boasts original windows, wood floors, and great architectural details & built-ins
- Our unit has a (Bay Area-rarity combo of) washer, dryer & dishwasher
- The location has a 97 on walkscore
- We've got a dog (he'll be out of the house for the showing)
- Our style (such as it is) is half a notch above grad student chiq
*It's possible there are legal avenues around this, but for now, we have the time & inclination to work with him on this front.