Is ABF super awesome?
May 2, 2012 6:32 AM Subscribe
Experiences with ABF U-Pack?
Yesterday there was a how-to-move post and a lot of people mentioned ABF U-Pack as being a good way to get around the moving scams.
I have a decent sized move package budget, but I know that our last corporate move exceeded the amount that we have for this move, so we'll have to trim some things. I've considered doing media mail for less important books, for example.
After reading that post I thought that it might be worth exploring ABF.
Some particulars that may impact our situation:
- 2 bedroom house, large office, dozens of book boxes, tons of outdoor gear, kids' toys, and basement full of crap.
- I'm willing to pack (and in the midst of packing) our books and some of our belongings, but I liked the moving team in our last move doing things like taking apart and wrapping furniture, wrapping stuff, efficiently packing our things - especially kitchen stuff.
- There is no way that we could move the big furniture ourselves.
- I think that it would take us a long time to take apart our furniture.
- We have decent access to moving boxes through our neighborhood listserv.
- Every hour that we'd be moving ourselves is an hour that we're not working and we're paying for childcare.
- We will be moving in DC. In July. To Seattle.
- We live in a dense city neighborhood. I think that we'd have to get authorized for the container. This costs money, right?
- How long can you reasonably have the container out there?
- Our neighborhood isn't UNSAFE, but leaving a container on the street might be a security issue issue.
- We have a small child, so we don't have as much spare time and we have to maintain somewhat of a normal routine.
- There are some health/fatigue issues going on that means that packing could wipe us out. Money is limited, but health trumps money.
- On the other end we will have more flexibility for unpacking, but no childcare.
- On the other end we may need to put some of our things in off-site storage.
Given this, would it be easier just to pay for Mayflower to do it for us and get it over with? Or is ABF just so awesome and easy that we need to consider it?