Book title search, Part Nthing

Please remember this historical novel title for me. I'm sure it's been at least 15 years since I read a novel about a stonemason's apprentice. The master mason marked his buildings with the letter "H". It takes place somewhere in medieval England, I think.

I don't think it's Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth. I have a vague recollection that there's a mystery involved in which the mason's mark is some sort of clue, and something about "white stone". I'm aware that this is a long shot, but MeFites (other than me) have awesome powers of recall.
posted by angiep to Writing & Language (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Are you thinking of Sarum?
posted by infini at 10:56 PM on May 1, 2012

I have a vague memory that one of Sharan Newman's medieval mysteries (and I think I only ever read the first three---Death comes as an Epiphany, The Devil's Door, the Wandering Arm) had a subplot about a stonemason's apprentice, but none of the back of the book summaries that I could find mentioned it.
posted by leahwrenn at 11:54 PM on May 1, 2012

Another educated guess, here. Could it be William Golding's The Spire?
posted by davemack at 1:08 AM on May 2, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions, but none is the book I'm (vaguely) remembering.
posted by angiep at 4:07 AM on May 2, 2012

« Older I've never really moved before...   |  Do you take low dose naltrexon... Newer »