Everybody's just looking for answers.

As someone who is a fanatic about O Brother Where Art Thou, and practically has it memorized, I can't believe I am asking this but here goes: I was watching it on TV (Might have been TNT but I forget) and the movie had footnotes-one of which has me discombooberated.

The footnote stated that in the movie there were four people who were either blind or partially blind. I can only figure out three....the blind prophet on the railway, the blind radio station manager, and the oneeyed Bible salesman. The footnotes said that the station manager was the third. So who did I miss? Or did the footnotes get it wrong?
(Yes, this is a stupid question to waste a week on, but as I said I am a fanatic about this movie.)
posted by St. Alia of the Bunnies to Media & Arts (11 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Hmmmm...Sheriff Cooley isn't blind, but you never see his eyes. Possibility?
posted by pecanpies at 5:45 PM on April 28, 2012

I mean, I think it fits thematically - I don't think he's literally blind.
posted by pecanpies at 5:46 PM on April 28, 2012

I was thinking of the sheriff too: he's described (well, the devil is described) as having "big empty eyes".
posted by Songdog at 5:50 PM on April 28, 2012 [1 favorite]

The sheriff is the only person I can think of as another OBWAT aficionado.

I imagine him like this: the corinthian from Sandman

I better watch it again to make sure...
posted by OnTheLastCastle at 6:01 PM on April 28, 2012 [1 favorite]

It was on AMC the other night (twice) and I watched it too (twice) and loved the story notes - it was like watching Pop Up Video. Here they are on the website.
posted by peagood at 6:14 PM on April 28, 2012

Peagood, that link won't come up on Google Chrome. Darn it.
posted by St. Alia of the Bunnies at 6:18 PM on April 28, 2012

ah, just hit the search....never mind!
posted by St. Alia of the Bunnies at 6:19 PM on April 28, 2012

Borked in my enthusiasm - sorry - here it is.
posted by peagood at 6:19 PM on April 28, 2012 [1 favorite]

"Daniel Von Bargen (Sheriff) played an eye patch-wearing commandant on Malcolm in the Middle."

Ha, that's cheating!
posted by St. Alia of the Bunnies at 6:23 PM on April 28, 2012

I saw that too. They said the sheriff because you never see his eyes, and a lot of the time flames are reflected in his sunglasses.
posted by PJMoore at 7:37 PM on April 28, 2012

Okay ......consensus has it!
posted by St. Alia of the Bunnies at 8:10 PM on April 28, 2012

« Older I've recently returned to my h...   |  What makes for career/life sat... Newer »