DC hashing minus the cock and bull

Metro DC. Need recommendation for a particular sort (maybe?) of hashing group in the area.

I am looking for a hash in the DC area. Yes, I found the main link to all the DC hashing clubs. I went to two runs last year with a particular club (that I won't name here) and it was a bit, umm, over the top in the bawdy arena IMHO. I can take dirty jokes but the atmosphere (for me) was a bit too ... aggressive (though there were quite a few women runners who clearly had no problem with it).
I really want to participate in a regular hash because I like the muddy, terrain crossing runs and I like to drink and chat with people who like that too. Maybe someone can direct me to what I am looking for or, alternatively, can tell me I just don't "get" hashes and I should start planning my own trail runs.
My preferences as follows: runs for at least 5 miles and the more varied and difficult the route the better, less emphasis on the puerile commentary and boob jokes as part of the experience, and beer other than Pabst (I don't care how hipster cool it is, it tastes like shit).
posted by notcomputersavvy06 to Health & Fitness (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Every hash experience I have ever heard related included a lot of saucy talk (and a fair amount of outside-the-run debauchery party stories) but that may just be the fact that those are the stories that get retold.

It also seems like "hash" is pretty synonymous around here with the party/social part, not the part you seem to like. Some clubs I'm aware of don't do mud/terrain and instead focus on the random route aspect, using chalk mark and pointers to direct folks through neighborhoods. Perhaps you should look instead for trail running groups via MeetUp or the like?
posted by phearlez at 12:39 PM on April 23, 2012

Just fyi, @WeLoveDC on twitter put your question to their followers.
posted by inigo2 at 1:57 PM on April 23, 2012

Give the White House Hash a try. I hear Great Falls is family friendly.
posted by princelyfox at 8:08 PM on April 23, 2012

That was me, inigo2. I did not get any responses. I'll prod again but since I didn't get any response from any side I'm not too optimistic.
posted by phearlez at 8:07 AM on April 24, 2012

Ha!
One other place you can try is the Going Out Gurus chat on Thursdays at noon on washingtonpost.com; they'll answer questions like this from time to time.
posted by inigo2 at 9:55 AM on April 24, 2012

« Older Please help me thwart the evil...   |  How to ensure we're doing the ... Newer »