Engraved silver, post-divorce?

My in-laws engraved a silver bowl, with our names and wedding date, for our wedding. We're divorced. What the heck do we do with the bowl? My ex-husband doesn't want it. It's not my style. I feel like there must be something better that I can do with it than give it to Goodwill. It's Oneida and silverplate (looks like only the exterior was plated). Ideas?
posted by rednikki to Home & Garden (17 answers total)

Honestly, I wouldn't even give it to Goodwill. I'd toss it. I doubt anyone is going to want a bowl engraved with some other couple's names.
posted by easy, lucky, free at 5:57 PM on April 22, 2012

Sell it on Ebay and buy yourself something nice with whatever funds result?
posted by The otter lady at 5:57 PM on April 22, 2012 [1 favorite]

You might be able to find somebody who could melt it down or salvage it for bespoke jewelry... Maybe put up a listing on Ebay or Craigslist?
posted by These Birds of a Feather at 5:59 PM on April 22, 2012

Do you have a local freecycle group/email list? I'm sometimes surprised at what people on such a list will take and have found it useful for getting rid of various non-Goodwill type items. Since there's no money to change hands, it's easy enough to leave items out on the front steps or wherever for pickup.
posted by BlooPen at 6:06 PM on April 22, 2012 [1 favorite]

After posting this, I started digging around for the value. Looks like if it weren't engraved it would be worth $20. Thanks for the advice, guys!
posted by rednikki at 6:12 PM on April 22, 2012

Do you have children?

I would want this kind of family heirloom, even if my parents were divorced (although I would probably wait a decade for feelings to cool before I pulled it out of storage to actually use it).
posted by amaire at 6:14 PM on April 22, 2012 [6 favorites]

Really? I love weird ephemera like that. Even selling worth aside, I'm sure there's some sort of social services nonprofit or refugee resettlement agency that would love a donation of a piece of houseware for a family moving into an empty apartment.
posted by threeants at 6:27 PM on April 22, 2012 [1 favorite]

I used to buy stuff like this all the time. Give it to Goodwill and someone will buy it for $3 and use it as a planter.
posted by Sidhedevil at 6:30 PM on April 22, 2012 [3 favorites]

But I also agree with amaire. My parents are divorced and I really treasure the few keepsakes I have of their marriage. The cheesy photo magnet of them from some random bat mitzvah in 1993 is one of the objects I'd instantly grab if there was a fire.
posted by threeants at 6:31 PM on April 22, 2012

Prop for a high school or community theater department?
posted by lakeroon at 6:43 PM on April 22, 2012 [6 favorites]

You can have the engraving polished off and use it as a planter. : )
posted by Yellow at 6:58 PM on April 22, 2012 [3 favorites]

The engraving is really not that noticeable. I have three Paul Revere silver plated bowls, all three golf trophies received by my father-in-law. I use the biggest as a key holder by the front door, the smallest (fifth place) is perfect for a ball of yarn when I knit, and I use the third one to hold my bills until I file them.
posted by francesca too at 7:11 PM on April 22, 2012 [1 favorite]

FWIW, in one office where I used to work, we would have the occasional birthday cake for the people on my team. I noticed the departmental cake slicing knife was an engraved knife from some long-forgotten wedding. Apparently someone bought it at Goodwill for a buck or two.

So, don't throw out the silver bowl - someone, somewhere can make use of it.
posted by Multicellular Exothermic at 7:12 PM on April 22, 2012

Nthing the "do you have children?" question.

My parents are divorced, and I'm the happy recipient of any inconvenient evidence.

If you don't have kids, I like the suggestion to just use it as an ornamental bowl with stuff in it. Especially if the engraving is on the inside. Fill with interesting objects or jordan almonds or something and move on.
posted by Sara C. at 8:02 PM on April 22, 2012

I love that sort of thing! I have several loving cups in my dining just as decor -- I don't know any of the people who won them, or have any connection to them. I just think they look neat.

Someone will want it; at the least, give it to Goodwill.
posted by Countess Sandwich at 8:57 PM on April 22, 2012 [1 favorite]

Please don't just put it in the garbage. Even putting it on your doorstep with a note saying

"For sale, one bowl. I'm giving ex-husband half of what I get for it. Price: Free!!!!"

for a day or so is better than trashing it. Or maybe a junk gold dealer would take it for smelting? Should be simple enough to call and ask. Worst case, Goodwill.
posted by RolandOfEld at 8:35 AM on April 23, 2012

I've bought engraved silverplate to use for art/craft projects. Goodwill or Craigslist free.
posted by theora55 at 7:45 PM on April 23, 2012

« Older I need clothes. Clothing store...   |  Why would a poll paid for by a... Newer »