political lesbianism

Where online can I read about political lesbianism? For it, critical of it, history of it, arguments about it are all ok.
posted by the young rope-rider to Society & Culture (10 answers total) 13 users marked this as a favorite

Do you mean politics concerning Lesbians, or actual lesbianism for political purposes?
posted by Patbon at 8:42 AM on April 19, 2012 [1 favorite]

Have you tried the Wikipedia references?

For example, the references link to the reading, Compulsory Heterosexuality, which is fundamental in the field. There are a couple more links I didn't try out.
posted by insectosaurus at 8:51 AM on April 19, 2012

Let me clarify, from wikipedia: Political lesbianism is a phenomenon within feminism, primarily Second-wave feminism; it includes, but is not limited to, lesbian separatism. Political lesbianism embraces the theory that sexual orientation is a choice, and advocates lesbianism as a positive alternative to heterosexuality for women.[1]
posted by the young rope-rider at 8:54 AM on April 19, 2012

Here are a few links 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to start you off. There are a number of excellent critiques and additional information, most of which you can get off of JSTOR and online databases. Do you have access? Some of the biggest critiques from post-modern feminists are that this type of politics solidifies gender and ignores the differences between gender identity and sexual orientation. For examples, Shiela Jeffreys critiques trans* people's existence (and trans* people critique her back): 6 and 7.

If you do not have JSTOR access, feel free to memail me and I can see if I can share some articles.
posted by anya32 at 10:05 AM on April 19, 2012 [2 favorites]

Here is another good starter link: 8. As the page notes, Janice Raymond is also famous for writing pretty awful (my opinion, of course) things about people who are trans* identified. Lots of critiques can be found of her writing.
posted by anya32 at 10:11 AM on April 19, 2012 [1 favorite]

oops! link did not work. here it is again: 8. and one critique: 9. Oh, and a video! 10.
posted by anya32 at 10:15 AM on April 19, 2012

Wonderful, thank you.
posted by the young rope-rider at 10:31 AM on April 19, 2012

Charlotte Bunch's 1972 article, "Lesbians in Revolt," is a classic.

Here is a response to Bunch's article, posted on the PDX Feminist Collective blog.
posted by hurdy gurdy girl at 10:34 AM on April 19, 2012 [1 favorite]

I loved Ariel Levy's piece in the New Yorker about American 1970s political lesbian separatism.
posted by Miko at 7:51 PM on April 19, 2012 [1 favorite]

An FPP I did a while ago about lesbian separatist communes overlaps with this topic. (I was going to suggest the Levy piece, too, but Miko beat me to it.)
posted by Forktine at 10:15 PM on April 19, 2012

« Older What are some good books about...   |  I'm looking for a part-time na... Newer »