Can I trust eBay ?

Buying a pre-owned Mac in the UK. Where should I go ?

Need another iMac for editing with Final Cut Pro. Can I trust eBay ? Or is it worth paying extra for the reassurance of a good machine. And if so, from where ? Suggestions please.
posted by devious truculent and unreliable to Technology (3 answers total)

It's possibly a bit obvious but you can buy refurbished macs from apple: http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac
posted by curious_yellow at 5:48 AM on April 18, 2012 [1 favorite]

A couple things:
1) Macs depreciate more slowly than most computers, so that would bias me in favor of new or refurbished. You're just not knocking as much off the price as you would by buying a worthless 2 year old PC.
2) The iMac isn't easily repairable, so you want AppleCare or at least that 1-year of coverage you get when you buy from Apple.
3) Get a 27" if you can. An equivalent IPS display alone would run you something like $800-$900 from Dell.
posted by pjaust at 6:44 AM on April 18, 2012

Apple authorised resellers will often have one year old, end of line or ex-display macs at a discount.
posted by Lanark at 1:07 PM on April 18, 2012

« Older Both my partner and I are comp...   |  Looking for examples of late 2... Newer »