Can I please quit my job?
April 15, 2012 10:36 AM Subscribe
Any alpaca farmers out there willing to answer some questions?
posted by hollyanderbody to Work & Money (10 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
So my husband and I are thinking about turning our 2.75 acres into an Alpaca farm (ranch?). We know the lifestyle is doable for us, and are ready to learn and invest. We need some numbers to plug into our calculations to determine if we can do this. We have an appointment to visit a local breeder/farmer, who will hopefully answer questions, but we wanted to get answers from other sources as well. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.
1. How much fleece does the average alpaca yield yearly, and how much does this earn? and are some colors more desirable than others?
2. How much feed does an alpaca require, and what type (I've heard orchard grass hay is the thing...?)
3. How many acres are needed per animal (Or, how many animals could we have per acre?)
4. I understand that males and females must be corraled sparately, but that males need a companion with them...?
5. If one wanted to make a living raising alpacas, does the income come from fleece, or selling animals?
6. How does one transport alpacas?
Anything else I should know?