Sometimes you just gotta say...
April 15, 2012 12:54 AM Subscribe
Thinking about going back to school, but I have some questions about things, and hoping people can help me and answer them. (Information and questions inside.)
posted by mephron to Education (5 answers total)
I'm hoping to go for a graphic design program at Seattle Central Community College, since my job hunt in IT has been, uh, fairly fruitless (more than ten years working for a bank has both stunted some of my skills due to in-house software that no one else uses, and the bank itself seems to be kind of a poison). I also put in with North and South Seattle CC. I have no degree, and actually failed out of college in 198*mumble*
I've sent through my application to the community colleges and filled out my FAFSA paperwork, but to be accepted to the graphics design program requires a portfolio review, and while I'm pretty good with photoshop and indesign and doing layouts and such (I was always the one tapped to do the department newsletter because I 'had an eye' for making them look good, for example, and I did a lot of the training documentation because I could make them both look good and make sense), the traditional arts are... not something I am good at.
1) how long will it be before I hear from the colleges about further paperwork I might need, or do I have to push the processes even after putting in the applications?
2) As someone self-trained in a lot of these things, is that a significant handicap? The portfolio requires an essay about 'strengths and weaknesses' and part of me thinks that mentioning that I'm self-trained and don't know what I don't know I need to know is the kind of self-insight that might be helpful, or it might be a killer.
3) should I not worry about the application to the program for a bit, but get some of my general education credits in first, along with some basic art classes, just to have some background?
4) where can I get a decent pre-review of a portfolio before submitting, so I get some ideas about how I'm doing? I have a deviantArt site that I've posted things on, but I don't really know how to search these things out.
5) In my 40s, am I crazy for trying this?
6) am I overthinking this? Or should I just listen to that little voice inside me that quotes "Risky Business" at me?