Forgot iPod password but iTunes stops responding while syncing

My daughter put a password on her iPod and promptly forgot it, which would be fine if iTunes didn't stop responding every single time we try to sync it. I really don't want to lose everything that is on there, especially her pictures and purchases. Help me be a hero to my daughter and tell me how to fix it.
posted by Ruki to Computers & Internet (10 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Are you on a Mac? If so, PhoneView should bypass the password lock and allow you to offload all her music and photos to your computer and thus release you to reformat the iPod when you have the data you needed to save.

In the meantime, could she possibly have set her password to any of the following?

her birthday
last 4 digits of your phone number
your address
posted by These Birds of a Feather at 11:34 AM on April 14, 2012

Not a Mac. She's tried all her usual passwords.
posted by Ruki at 11:36 AM on April 14, 2012

either this or this should do the trick then. (assuming 'not a mac' is a PC, of course.)
posted by spindle at 11:53 AM on April 14, 2012 [1 favorite]

What sort of iPod is it? Does it have FaceTime, and do you have another iThing that you can use to FaceTime her with? The iPod will let her answer without entering the code, and maybe using the Home button during the call will give her access for the duration of the call - which would at least let her mail the pictures to herself.

Purchases, I think, should be available to any other device she logs into using her iTunes account, even if they haven't been transferred off. That's certainly true for apps, and it seems to be true for music as well; I don't know about video.
posted by ManyLeggedCreature at 11:57 AM on April 14, 2012

If the programs spindle mentioned don't work it is still possible to recover the passcode and the information, but it is not at all for the faint of heart, assuming that the iPod works the same way an iPhone does. You would also need to get access to a Mac, I believe.
posted by procrastination at 6:20 PM on April 14, 2012

You should be able to sync the iPod with iTunes which will copy apps, photos etc..and then set it up as new (which would be password free) and restore from the last backup. Or set not restore from backup but manually copy everything she wants back over.
posted by eatcake at 6:41 PM on April 14, 2012

You can also go to the Genius Bar for this. I only know because the last time I was there for laptop junk, the girl next to me was having her iPod password reset.
posted by klangklangston at 7:21 PM on April 14, 2012 [1 favorite]

So we copied the pictures onto her computer, so at least she'll have those. When we try to sync so we can restore to factory settings, iTunes gets hung up on copying 1 of (whatever) and I have to go into task manager and shut it down. I'll try spindle's link tomorrow, but I'm too faint of heart for procrastination's links. If all else fails, she has her pictures, so maybe I'll just try to restore it without syncing and she can remember those lost purchases the next time she thinks about password locking her iPod.
posted by Ruki at 9:58 PM on April 14, 2012

Sharepod... Worked for me!
posted by Master Gunner at 10:53 PM on April 14, 2012 [1 favorite]

Incidentally, if by purchases you mean the purchase of music/movies/apps/books/etc through iTunes, they aren't lost no matter what happens. Your daughter's iTunes account will have a record of them, and they can be freshly downloaded to either the factory reset iPod or another iOS device that you authorise for the account.
posted by Georgina at 4:37 AM on April 16, 2012 [1 favorite]

« Older Is the word "prick" ...   |  My girlfriend is moving from a... Newer »