This currency doesn't show up on my forex trading screen...

What does the phrase "pukka currency" mean?

So, I read the above phrase in an online discussion on LinkedIn.

I don't know if you have to be a member of this LinkedIn group to be able to see the discussion, so let me quote the salient piece:

"That's interesting. I've read similar pieces on how LinkedIn is changing recruitment in the US. From my experience here in the UK, resum├ęs (we call them CVs) are still pukka currency. I'd be interested to see input from UK recruiters. "

The context here is resumes and whether they have become passe.
posted by dfriedman to Human Relations (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Pukka is a piece of British slang of Indian origins. It basically means proper or of the highest standard. So pukka currency would mean that it still has currency -- i.e. from the dictionary: "The fact or quality of being generally accepted or in use."
posted by peacheater at 9:17 AM on April 14, 2012

Pukka generally means 'genuine' or 'of good quality', so the intended meaning is similar to the idiomatic 'coin of the realm' -- the primary/dominant means of exchange in the field.
posted by holgate at 9:20 AM on April 14, 2012

Incidentally the Hindi word pakka that pukka is derived from literally means "cooked" or "ripe."
posted by peacheater at 9:20 AM on April 14, 2012

To rephrase, based on the definitions provided above and the context as well, the individual was saying that a resume (or CV) is still very important, valuable, and necessary although UK recruiters might have a different opinion.
posted by livinglearning at 9:22 AM on April 14, 2012

Appreciate all the answers.

posted by dfriedman at 9:29 AM on April 14, 2012

« Older I have a Great Horned Owl Nest...   |  Kicked out of university. Twic... Newer »