Join 3,494 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)


How to get a replacement CA Driver's License in CO?
April 9, 2012 3:51 PM   Subscribe

Son lost his CA driver's license in Colorado where he is a student (but not a driver). He has no other photo ID. CA DMV seems to require in person visit to get a replacement license. Can't get on a flight to come to CA without a photo ID. Any smart way of handling this?
posted by Edward L to Law & Government (16 answers total)
His student ID doesn't have a picture?
Has he checked to see if CO issues simple picture IDs to non-residents?
posted by Thorzdad at 3:57 PM on April 9, 2012

Does he have a passport, and if so, is it in your possession? In which case, could you FedEx it to him?
posted by scody at 3:59 PM on April 9, 2012

A few options:
(1) As a student, he qualifies for a Colorado driver's license or ID card, but it looks like Colorado already passed their restrictive ID laws, so it's difficult to get a driver's license without already having a photo ID.
(2) Getting a Passport is actually easier because you can use a combination of documents as proof of identity.
(3) You can get on a flight without photo ID.
posted by muddgirl at 4:02 PM on April 9, 2012 [4 favorites]

You can get on an airplane without a photo ID, if you can bring at least two forms of alternate ID.

Passengers who do not have a valid photo ID, such as State-issued driver’s license, should bring any ID or documents they have available to assist in verification of identity. Passengers need at least two alternate forms of identification, such as a social security card, birth certificate, marriage license, or credit card. The documents must bear the name of the passenger. Also, one of these documents must bear identification information containing one of the following: date of birth, gender, address, or photo. If TSA can confirm the passenger’s identity, they may enter the secured area, but they could be subject to additional screening.

More at TSA's site.
posted by vorfeed at 4:03 PM on April 9, 2012 [1 favorite]

The TSA might know enough about him that he can fly anyway.
Adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID in order to be allowed to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight.

We understand passengers occasionally arrive at the airport without an ID, due to lost items or inadvertently leaving them at home. Not having an ID, does not necessarily mean a passenger won’t be allowed to fly. If passengers are willing to provide additional information, we have other means of substantiating someone’s identity, like using publicly available databases.

Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint or onto an airplane.

posted by aniola at 4:05 PM on April 9, 2012

Actually, it looks like Colorado does have an Exceptions Process for getting a driver's license/ID without an existing photo ID. Colorado DMV; Identification Requirements; Exceptions Processing.
posted by muddgirl at 4:05 PM on April 9, 2012

posted by Johnny Assay at 4:06 PM on April 9, 2012

When I lost my Texas driver's license in Seattle, Washington instead of having to get an in-person replacement, I requested a $10 address change to, yup, my Washington address. Texas DOT mailed the new driver's license within a week to Seattle. I used to get a lot of surprised looks when people saw a Texas ID with a Seattle address on it up until I finally got a Washington driver's license some years later.

Perhaps California will let him register an address in Colorado?

(Also, I've flown without official ID in the last few years. A student ID worked, and in my boyfriend's case, his BofA debit card with his picture on it was sufficient to get him on a plane without further pat-downs or additional security.)
posted by halogen at 4:07 PM on April 9, 2012 [6 favorites]

A friend of mine recently lost her wallet and all of her forms of ID including passport about a week before our pre-planned vacation. She was able to get on the plane both there and back with a combination of a faxed driver's license photo from the California DMV, the debit card her bank overnighted to her, and a paystub. Obviously having him fly back would not be the ideal resolution, but it's certainly doable if you get to the airport early and have other documents that you can use as an ID (they asked if she had a Costco card - I have to imagine a Student ID with a picture would be at least as persuasive.)
posted by wuzandfuzz at 4:08 PM on April 9, 2012

I did the same as halogen.
posted by KogeLiz at 4:13 PM on April 9, 2012

A change of address does not get you a new physical card in CA -- there's just a spot to write it in on the back.
posted by brainmouse at 4:24 PM on April 9, 2012 [1 favorite]

A couple of months ago I showed up at the airport having completely forgotten to put my driver's license back in my wallet.

What I did have:

* Social security card
* Student ID card with my photo
* Health insurance card

The first thing the TSA agent asked me for was actually my health insurance card. She looked at the social security card after I mentioned it but seemed surprised that I had it. (I was surprised too! I had forgotten to take it OUT of my wallet.) The student ID card with my photo on it also probably helped.

I made it through the security checkpoint at both airports with almost no fuss.
posted by Kutsuwamushi at 4:26 PM on April 9, 2012

I had forgotten to renew my driver's license before going through a TSA checkpoint. I was asked to provide other forms of ID, and they accepted an active credit card.

On my return flight, I provided both expired license, credit card, and a work ID. The TSA agent glanced at all three and waved me through without a word.

In neither case did I undergo additional screening. However, I was with my family at the time, not by myself. I also do not have any sort of name or appearance that would place me on the stereotypical suspicious-person list. And perhaps the agents at the airport were feeling generous (or apathetic) and thus I had no difficulty.

For what it's worth, I actually had a harder time at the airline check-in stand, trying to confirm my flight. But that resolved itself in the end, mostly because the service reps were convinced I would be stopped at the security gate and left me to my fate.
posted by CancerMan at 4:33 PM on April 9, 2012

I basically had the same experience as CancerMan..arrived hours early expecting a hassle but they looked at my credit card and student ID and let me through.
posted by substars at 5:10 PM on April 9, 2012

I've gotten through airport security with just a photo student ID a couple of times. The TSA guy did side-eye me a bit and told me to get an actual state ID card, but he let me through. If he has a second form of ID like a bank card that has a photo on it, I don't think he'll have problems at the airport.
posted by yasaman at 6:05 PM on April 9, 2012

Yep, bring ID cards with pictures (such as membership of Costco, etc.) - that, plus your student ID and credit/debit card should be sufficient.

My wallet was stolen last year - my California DL was stolen as well. Had to order a temporary card (paper) and get my license reissued (then mailed) in person. Pretty much a pain, so I feel your son's pain.
posted by dubious_dude at 2:45 AM on April 10, 2012

« Older I'm ending my marriage. How do...   |  What font did Alfred Hitchcock... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.