Replace Super Puzzle Fighter arcade CRT power supply?
March 30, 2012 2:16 PM Subscribe
I love my CPS2 JAMMA Super Puzzle Fighter arcade cabinet
. The power supply for the CRT spontaneously caught fire (I think it's the CRT's PS). Help me save it!
posted by doteatop to Technology (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I cut power to it and everything seems fine, if smoky. It doesn't seem to burn more when I turn it back on, and the audio works, indicating that the game itself is unharmed. I bet the CRT is fine too and it's just some capacitor in this 16-year-old obviously-handmade circuit bundle that reached the end of a long road.
- A close-up of the back of the CRT and the specific ganglia of electronics that caught fire. The flames were in that big black bit on the right.
- A different perspective on the same parts.
- Some perfectly healthy if dusty bits that did not catch fire.
Options as I see them:
- Replace just the CRT's power supply - just have to source a supplier for something that would work. Can anyone recommend a supplier or know which parts I want? There seem to be a lot of options.
- Replace the CRT and power supply - a bit more involved. Even better would be to replace the CRT with a much lighter LCD! Is this feasible? Not sure if the video signal would be compatible. Anyone done this?
Anything I'm missing? Thanks!