Best JRPG for a time-starved gamer?
March 30, 2012 8:29 AM Subscribe
Please recommend a great JRPG based on some very specific likes and dislikes.
posted by jbickers to computers & internet (34 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
My video game playing time is increasingly limited, but I've got the itch to play a really good JRPG. I'm not very familiar with the genre, but several years ago I stumbled upon "Eternal Sonata" and LOVED it. Everything about it - the music, the story, the emotional core, etc. Loved it.
So, what should I play next? Preferred platforms would be Xbox, PS3 or Wii; PSP would be my second choice, but I'm including it because I'm vaguely aware that "Persona" is really good. Probably won't be getting a Vita for some time. Not interested in iOS games (tried Final Fantasy on my phone, hated it).
What I like:
* Great story with good acting
* Emotionally mature - ES felt "grown up" to me, not childish, which a lot of JRPGs strike me as
* Beautiful art and music
* Immersive world and setting
What I dislike:
* Grinding (ES had a bit of this, but it was so strong everywhere else I was able to get over it)
* Too long (100 hours? Sorry, I don't have the time. 10-15 would be perfect)
* Too hard (I'm in it for the experience and the atmosphere and the story, not the challenge)