Help identifying an Impressionist painting

Need help identifying an Impressionist painting.

I once came across a painting depicting a young woman dressed in dark, vaguely upper class clothing walking by a post (a lamppost, I believe) surrounded by flowers. It's possible that the weather was windy and rather gray. The painting was stylistically impressionist, or something very similar to this untrained observer. Unfortunately, these are the only details I remember.
posted by MetalFingerz to Media & Arts (13 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Do you recall where you saw this painting? Museum? Local gallery? Art history book? If no one recognizes the painting from the description, knowing where you saw it could at least help narrow down some options.
posted by phunniemee at 9:03 PM on March 29, 2012

I saw it on an internet messageboard (Bridge 9, "B9") in a thread about posters' favorite artwork.
posted by MetalFingerz at 9:10 PM on March 29, 2012

no flowers but ... could it be caillebotte
posted by chapps at 9:31 PM on March 29, 2012

No lamppost, but a parasol: Monet, Woman with a Parasol
posted by scody at 9:40 PM on March 29, 2012

Jean Beraud has several paintings of women on paris streets on windy days.
posted by chapps at 10:01 PM on March 29, 2012

Boston Common at Twilight, Childe Hassam?
posted by LobsterMitten at 10:01 PM on March 29, 2012

Another Hassam, with lamp, women flowers plus grey weather ... If this is the right style, the site has a chronology of Hassam paintings.

Or I think it might by this Hassam painting, woman is in dark clothes, light behind, surrounded by flowers.
posted by chapps at 10:12 PM on March 29, 2012

Thanks all, and thanks for the introduction to Hassam. Unfortunately, it is none of the above paintings. The setting is decidedly not urban. The woman, so far as I can recall, is alone or (less likely) accompanied by a small child.
posted by MetalFingerz at 10:29 PM on March 29, 2012

A Renoir sort of fitting the description. No post and bright weather, though.

Of what's been linked so far (or of any other artist you know), do you see something of a similar style? Is it messier, like the renoir, or smoother, like the Hassam?
posted by maryr at 11:02 PM on March 29, 2012

Renoir was a big fan of ladies in dark dresses with umbrellas. Manet too.
posted by gingerest at 11:36 PM on March 29, 2012

You could give WikiPaintings a try -- it's got keyword search and a great image browser. If the painting is at all famous, there's a good chance it's in there.
posted by Rhaomi at 12:11 AM on March 30, 2012

It does sound like Monet or Renoir or even Manet. The possible lamppost in a flower field throws me off, but could it be this painting by Monet? He's done series of paintings of this theme as well since you mention windy.
posted by snufkin5 at 4:56 AM on March 30, 2012 [1 favorite]

Maybe Berthe Morisot?
La Chasse au Papillons
At the balcony
Woman and Child in the Garden
Woman in a garden
Artist's sister in a park
After luncheon
posted by LobsterMitten at 2:04 PM on March 30, 2012

« Older Emergency laptop purchase in M...   |  I'm looking for a cheaper alte... Newer »