Looking for Beetlejuice: The host with the most

What do I need to look for in a higher end email host?

I am going to take my domain and get an email host to provide that service rather than stick with commercial services. I definitely want IMAP, and push service for ios/android. 5GB of space would be more than enough, but I can see myself opting for up to 10GB. I will be the only user using this, but may want some aliases. Are there some cool nifgy features that I should opt for to make it easier for me, or more efficient. What I want to know is what I should look for, or what I should watch out for. A factor that I don't have to worry (much) about is cost, as I'm willing to pay bit more to get what I want. So any suggestions on features or hosts would be great, as this is my first advance into this territory.
posted by karathrace to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Is there a reason why you don't have Google host your mail on your own domain with Google Apps?
posted by wongcorgi at 1:26 PM on March 26, 2012

I am not going to take the google route. These suggestions will fall on deaf ears. Please do not suggest this. They have been nothing but trouble for my personal and professional life. NO GOOGLE!
posted by karathrace at 1:28 PM on March 26, 2012

I'm not sure how you find this out, but picking a host that is reasonably good about not being used as a spam distribution point is key. Being blacklisted every five weeks is difficult at best.
posted by gauche at 1:31 PM on March 26, 2012

I would recommend FastMail since you don't want to go with Google.
posted by kindall at 1:45 PM on March 26, 2012

Thanks for the recommendation, but can you tell me why?
posted by karathrace at 2:07 PM on March 26, 2012

Why not go for a VPS? Nowadays they are pretty cheap.

If you're not willing to do the admin yourself, and $ is not much of an issue, get a managed service. For linux, I've been using johncompanies.com for years and recommend them but there are plenty of other good hosts too.

There are a several threads here that cover this.
posted by w.fugawe at 2:26 PM on March 26, 2012

« Older Good (English-language) Chines...   |  Which books (fiction or non-fi... Newer »