Please help me think of a great vacation idea :-D
March 23, 2012 5:16 PM Subscribe
Vacation suggestions? I have two weeks vacation coming up next month, but no clue yet where I want to go, what I want to do, etc.
posted by AMSBoethius to travel & transportation (7 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I have two weeks vacation coming up next month. I don't have an itinerary or even a destination yet, because taking the vacation was rather last minute. I need some help thinking outside the box & picking a worthwhile location.
If you're curious, I'm in a use it or lose it situation with vacation time at work. We're only allowed to have a max of 20 days on the books, but I have 32 & my boss strongly suggested I use the excess before it disappears on me.
I have available to me:
1. 16 consecutive days off - Saturday 4/14 through Sunday 4/29
2. A valid US passport that expires on 9/4/2012 (No, I don't think mine has one of those RFID things)
3. A nearby major international airport (DFW)
4. A cruise port within driving distance (Galveston)
5. Budget is up to around US $2,000 (though, for a really awesome idea, I think I'd be okay taking up to another $2,000 from my savings account)
6. No travel companion - I'm flying/driving/cruising/walking solo
7. No fluency in languages other than English - my Spanish is terrible due to lack of recent practice
Here are suggestions I've gotten from friends
1. Lounge around on the beach in Costa Rica
2. Road trip through some US states I've never been to, & watch games in other MLB stadiums (stadia?)
4. Caribbean cruise
Here are previous vacations I've gone on
1. Road trip through south Texas - had a blast, because I had my nephew with me
2. Road trip through southeast US - had a blast, but got really saddle sore by the end
3. Week in London - I was in college at the time, & the girl I was dating was there for study abroad. Saw several museums & a Queens Park Rangers match
4. Latvia - Not technically vacation since I was there for work, but we did get one day off & had a blast in Liepaja
These previous questions have been helpful as well:
As far as what I'd like to do while there, I would love to see some museums, scenic natural beauty, try some interesting food & beer that I can't get in DFW, & generally forget about the blackberry for a while. I'm not much on going clubbing though, unless I'm going with someone I already know. I think I'd be fine doing a package tour of museums & such. I would also enjoy seeing live theater or a sports match. I also have a friend in NYC who has offered to let me crash on his couch for a couple nights if I have a lengthy layover there.
Thanks in advance!