Skip

How to fix this damaged varnish?
March 16, 2012 8:24 AM   Subscribe

My friend threw a towel on our bedside table and used it as an ironing board. Now the varnish is damaged (pics). How do I fix it?
posted by mrunderhill to Home & Garden (6 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

How long has it been like that? The moisture in the varnish will probably evaporate in a day or two...
posted by BobbyVan at 8:25 AM on March 16, 2012

If it doesn't evaporate in a day or so, try brushing it with mayonnaise. Spread it on and then lightly rub it in, then wipe off the excess.
posted by punchtothehead at 8:28 AM on March 16, 2012 [1 favorite]

Oddly enough, the same way you caused it - with an iron and a towel . See here and here.
posted by rtimmel at 8:32 AM on March 16, 2012 [8 favorites]

Seconding rtimmel. When I did this, it took about an hour for a spot that size though. Slow, steady, heat is the key. Worked like a charm.
posted by hamandcheese at 8:46 AM on March 16, 2012

If gentle heat doesn't do it (it almost always does), you can repair it with a simple surface refinishing job. It's easier than you might think because that finish damage shows the table was finished with lacquer. It's a reversible finish, so you can repair without having to strip the thing naked. Either hire a refinisher (won't cost much as it's a very common and simple repair) or rework the finish yourself. If you go that route, web search or grab a book on DIY lacquer finish repair.
posted by introp at 9:19 AM on March 16, 2012 [1 favorite]

The iron and towel did the trick. Wow.

Looking in to lacquering as well though for the future!
posted by mrunderhill at 10:01 AM on March 16, 2012

« Older What are your favorite new new...   |  How do you negotiate buying a ... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.