Sulfite Allergy = No Wine. Now What?
March 11, 2012 9:25 PM Subscribe
Dang it, allergic to sulfites. Does this ruin wine for me forever?
posted by hermitosis to Health & Fitness (27 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I already had noticed that eating dried fruits like apricots (ingredients: fruit, sugar, sulfites) made me fee wheezy and cough-y, same with bottled hard ciders. But now I get a reaction to wine also -- my throat breaks out in huge sore welts that linger for a day or so. Red wine, white wine -- doesn't seem to matter. I had a half a glass tonight because I was at a fancy dinner and I didn't want to feel left out of the convivial spirit, and already an hour later I'm paying for it.
So, no wine anymore, ever? It seems like the kind of allergy medicine I'd typically take to suppress an allergy is ALSO the kind of medication that they warn you not to mix with alcohol. Is there a way to beat this, or do I just find another drink to nurse bitterly while everyone else is smacking their lips over a gorgeous pinot grigio?