Help me help my elderly parents learn to use an iPad.
March 11, 2012 6:30 PM Subscribe
Once my iPad 3 arrives this Friday, I'm planning on giving my 1st generation iPad to my parents. They're both in their 60s and fairly computer illiterate. I've tried to teach them the basics, but what apps or websites could I pre-install on the iPad when I give it to them to help them learn at their own pace? Bonus question; Dad likes soccer and I don't, so what's your recommendation for the best soccer apps to put on there?
posted by Effigy2000 to technology (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
As I said above the fold, I've tried teaching my parents the basics of using an iPad and surfing the internet over the course of the last few months so that when I did finally gift them my iPad, they'd know what to do with it. They seem to have gotten some of the info down; my dad was getting very friendly with Google Maps and using it to look at his old neighbourhood in Germany, but it's clear they'll need further tutelage. So my questions are as follows...
1. Is there a great app I could pre-install or interactive website that they could visit to let them learn how to use the iPad at their own pace?
2. Being pensioners on a limited income, they'll only have 10GB of internet data to last the year. What's the best way to help them learn how to manage their bandwidth so they don't use it up quickly and incur extra charges?
3. Is there a good website or app that'll help them learn to be net-savvy (so they don't fall victim to scams, and so they know their Facebook from their Youtube etc).
4. Dad is a soccer nut... specifically the German Bundesliga. I don't know the first thing about soccer, so soccer fans... what's the best app to give him that will let him check out live scores and generally indulge his passion for the game (but not eat up a tonne of bandwidth with videos etc)?
5. I'm thinking of buying him FIFA 12 and pre-installing that on the iPad, but I see the user reviews for that app say it has some problems on 1st generation iPads. Any first hand experiences would be nice. Or is there a better soccer game you can recommend?
6. Any other apps you can think of that might be good for them to have, please recommend them!