Tell me about this BABYSITTING thing.
March 7, 2012 2:46 PM Subscribe
I have some questions about babysitting.
posted by your mom's a sock puppet to Work & Money (10 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I am a 27-year old woman with a little experience babysitting as a youngster (post college age). I am, however, the older of three children and an aunt to three wonderful kiddies that I see fairly frequently. I love kids and would be willing to watch kids any age. I have loads of job experience and non-babysitting references to offer. I have a car. I could do at least one night per weekend (Friday-Saturday), but weeknights are hard since I don't get out of work until 6 or 7pm.
- What are the odds of me getting a steady babysitting gig?
- What is the general range for pay? Is there a different rate for weekend nights versus weeknights?
- What's the legality of getting paid for babysitting? I realize that getting paid "under the table" is not generally legal, but if I get a regular Friday and/or Saturday night gig, could I get in big trouble for not reporting that income?
- What's the best website to advertise my services or look for work?
- And what kind of information should I send? Is this a resume/cover letter type of deal? Do I need to reveal details like the fact that I have tattoos? If were a parent looking for a sitter, what would you want to know, and what are you looking for?
Any other general info about babysitting would be helpful (i.e. what to do if people refuse to pay or are otherwise dangerous/sketchy, etc) would be great. Thanks in advance!