Eating in New Orleans?!?

New Orleans eats? A friend from Qatar (!) is traveling to Nawlins, would love some suggestions for places locals eat, mostly cajun and seafood--from cheap diners to spending a good bit of money. Thanks
posted by ambient2 to Travel & Transportation around New Orleans, LA (18 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Stella! and Stanley for Cajun/creole.

Domelise's for po'boys (opinions vary as to the best in town, I prefer Domelise's).

Couchon also for Cajun/creole.
posted by devinemissk at 11:35 AM on March 3, 2012

We were there a few years ago and ate our way around as much of downtown as we could. The one that we still talk about is Bayona, Susan Spicer's restaurant. Spendy, but amazing.
posted by bonehead at 11:43 AM on March 3, 2012 [2 favorites]

The New Orleans Chowhound board is active, and they answer this question several times a month.
posted by CheeseLouise at 12:46 PM on March 3, 2012 [1 favorite]

I have only been to NO for a couple of days, but in the interest of a fellow outsider - make sure they try some Boudain and fried boudin balls. It was my favorite Cajun food. We got it from a gas station in western Louisiana though.
posted by scose at 12:51 PM on March 3, 2012

It is almost impossible not to have good food in New Orleans, no matter what you eat or where you go. But I'll throw a recommendation at August, one of John Besh's restaurants. Had a tasting menu there that was knockout.
posted by griffey at 1:19 PM on March 3, 2012

I've been there quite a few times. If I had one night to pick the restaurant, itd be Jacques Imo's.

http://jacquesimoscafe.com/
posted by bricksNmortar at 1:42 PM on March 3, 2012

Cooter Brown's (bar) at the uptown end of St. Charles. Cheap cajun food, big beer selection.

Also if you inferred from scose's comment that there is awesome food in gas stations, you inferred correctly!
posted by jander03 at 2:16 PM on March 3, 2012

Galatoire's. Johnny's Po' Boys. Central Grocery.
posted by onepot at 5:18 PM on March 3, 2012

Coop's!
posted by fingers_of_fire at 5:28 PM on March 3, 2012 [1 favorite]

Nola. Expectations are high; meets them.
posted by Captain Shenanigan at 6:48 PM on March 3, 2012

Napoleon House's muffaletta is divine.
posted by spikeleemajortomdickandharryconnickjrmints at 7:42 PM on March 3, 2012

Having just visited last week, I'd have to second John Besh's restaurants (had incredible meals at both L√ľke and Domenica). Couchon is great as well.

Also had several great meals at The Green Goddess.

I tried several different beignets and none were nearly as good as Cafe Du Monde, despite everyone telling me that it's overhyped.

For something a little different, Hoa Hong 9 in Gretna has some of the best vietnamese food I've ever had.
posted by cuetip at 6:33 AM on March 4, 2012

Seconding Jacques Imo's. Get the Alligator Cheesecake (which is really a quiche).

Cafe du Monde is a must.

Napoleon House is great, too. Pimm's Cup and Muffaletta, please!
posted by bah213 at 10:22 AM on March 4, 2012

Seconding Bayona. After eating there, I bought the cookbook, and make stuff from it for dinner parties. Easy to make and never fails to impress.
posted by LN at 8:24 AM on March 5, 2012

Jacques-Imo's is great (last time I went was with several other Mefites!) but the wait can be long and the service is slooooowwwww, FYI.

My favorite "nice" place is Palace Cafe - it's owned by Brennan's so you have the same high-quality of food as Commander's Palace and their other (awesome) restaurants, but it's a little more low-key. The food is freakin amazing, and also it's beautiful inside.
posted by radioamy at 9:04 AM on March 5, 2012

Oh, it's possible to have ungood food in New Orleans!

When I was there Couchon and Domelise's were both closed, much to the Missus' dismay, they were tops on her list.

August was incredible, amazing food and non pretentious vibe.

Bayona was very so-so, I was vegetarian at the time and didn't feel that they really rose to the occasion (August definitely did). There was one appetizer that was stupendous though.

Nola was truly disappointing, should have known as over a weekend where everything had a wait or was booked solid, they had open tables. I did have the best-ever cup of coffee here, no joke. Blue Mountain.

We went to a "locals" place called Mother's- huge line, nothing special, pretty expensive for a Denny's like experience, well, if you had to wait in line for an hour to get into a Denny's.
posted by tremspeed at 1:52 AM on March 6, 2012

I've been to Denny's, and I've been to Mothers. I'm not the biggest fan of Mothers, and thought it overrated. Still, this comparison is comical to the point of almost being offensive.
posted by justgary at 9:11 AM on March 13, 2012

You just haven't been to the right Denny's. May I suggest the Holyoke, MA location?
posted by tremspeed at 7:33 PM on March 13, 2012

« Older Best wedding venues in Ottawa?...   |  I am very new to Pinterest. Th... Newer »