I know what to wear to the theater.....
March 1, 2012 11:41 PM Subscribe
I'm going to a burlesque show tomorrow night. Help me figure out what to wear.
Pretty self-explanatory. I have never been to a burlesque show, and therefore have absolutely no clue what is considered appropriate or common attire for such a thing. A quick Google search turned up sparse suggestions varying from "1940s cocktail attire" to "jeans and a tee shirt." Help me! I'd really like to have fun with this without looking like an idiot!
Setting: it's a professional show, being held at a major city theater, not an amateur thing. I'm going with a couple other women all in our late 20s. Only one girl is a close friend, and she is dressing pretty conservatively (dressy jeans and simple black blouse). She is, however, a generally more conservative person than I.
I'd like to not buy anything new - first, I don't really have time, secondly I'm pretty broke and already paid a decent chunk for my ticket.
What I've got:
- Skinny jeans in black or dark blue
- black mesh zip-front top with satin collar (kinda punk looking)
- see-through tight black lace tee shirt
- short black velvet dress, sleeveless
- above-knee dark red knit wrap dress
- knee lenth black pencil skirt
- skanky-ish red corset with black lace
- various tank tops/camisoles/etc
- various tights, seamed stockings, fishnets, etc
- various sexy heels (leaning towered the black lace peep-toes)
- various jewelry
So I'm basically debating whether to go skinny-jeans-and-lace-or-mesh-tee, or something funkier with a corset or dress and stockings or.... Or? Will I just look like a goof? Do people acually do this?
If it's relevant, I'm fairly tall and thin with pale skin and (currently) shoulder length dark auburn hair.