What sort of diet program is Weight Not?

Can someone tell me what the Weight Not diet program consists of? It's mostly to satisfy curiosity.

Two members of a podcast I listen to have lost significant amounts of weight on the diet program Weight Not, and have lost it fairly quickly. (There's photo evidence, so I know this isn't simply a radio stunt.) There's almost no chance of me going on it (for one, it's reportedly quite expensive) but I'm curious about whether the program is something along the lines of a paleo diet, or Atkins, or something similar. I'd also like to know if it's a sensible program or something crazy. Google is turning up a lot of nothing, plus speculation that the plan uses human growth hormones, which I think is unlikely. I'd ask the Weight Not people myself, but I don't want to be flooded with solicitations.

I'm not asking for any secret company info, just the basic gist of this particular diet.
posted by PussKillian to Health & Fitness (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Quick Google seems to indicate it's a HCG diet. HCG diets are tremendously effective, not because of the HCG (whose use for this is not approved by the FDA and has been shown to have no effect on weight loss at all) but because you are starving yourself. Any time you cut calories that low you'll lose weight. You don't need to pay money to do that. It's a pretty terrible way of losing weight though.
posted by schroedinger at 7:10 PM on February 26, 2012 [1 favorite]

Oh. That diet.

I have a friend who did it twice. Once with her husband.

Success for her the first time. Second time, not so much for her, for him it worked.

That said, it is ENTIRELY because you are eating 400 calories a day (or at least that's my recollection of it, the calorie count may be higher. But no. I'm pretty sure it is 400 calories per day.)

Anywho

You can also take the homeopathic hormones and not the expensive prescription. My friend had slightly more success taking the actual hormones.

All said and done, it's the ridiculous lack of calories that make it work. In this sense, it reminds me of the "cabbage" diet and the "grapefruit" diet. Also, juicing and cleansing. I dunno. Starving is starving.
posted by jbenben at 7:52 PM on February 26, 2012 [1 favorite]

As I understand from a friend who tried it recently, no HcG injections are actually involved; it's just a strict very low-calorie, low-carb diet. Every portion of food is weighed, and it's some specific amount of meat/protein, vegetables, and fruits for every meal, as well as a number of vitamin and fiber supplements to make sure you don't get malnourished. There's also 10,000 steps a day to walk. If you move a bit more and eat a lot less, you'll lose a lot of weight fast; it's not anything surprising or magical. I think you do it for a number of weeks, and then ease up on the diet for another few months to make sure the portion control sticks.
posted by vetala at 7:55 PM on February 26, 2012

I think the calories in the diet is somewhere between 800 and 1200, which falls into the very-low-calorie diet range. But my friend didn't seem to mind much! She did start drinking a ton more water (actually sticking to 10 glasses a day or something), but I don't know if the hydration was part of it or not.
posted by vetala at 7:57 PM on February 26, 2012

Thanks, everybody. I guess the human growth hormone thing I saw (neck-deep in a dodgy forum) was closer to the truth than I had thought. Bleah.

This is all because of my brain going "I don't care that you lost fifty pounds sensibly, we're sick of it and we want the magic bullet NOW." I figured knowing more about this diet would shut that part of my brain up, and I think it's worked.
posted by PussKillian at 1:39 PM on February 27, 2012

« Older What does a candidate having a...   |  How do I hide the ugly colors ... Newer »