Web Site, Blogger, and Email Answers?

Gmail, Blogger and My Web Site question. It's not pretty.

I have a web site hosted by GoDaddy.com; the company that I've also used for my domain name registration (www.myonepersoncompany.com). I have an email address that is myfirstname@myonepersoncompany.com, using the GoDaddy mail server.

I'd like to get away from paying for web hosting service all together. It's not a poverty isue as much as it is a "Can I actually do this?" issue.

I recently realized that I could easily create a new Blogger site which would suffice for my web site needs just fine, utilizing the static pages available on Blogger sites.

Assuming I maintain my domain name registration, is there a way to have my current web site URL (www.myonepersoncompany.com) point directly to the Blogger site I'd create?

At least as important, is there a way to maintain my myfirstname@myonepersoncompany.com email address to point to (ideally) my other email address (myname@myISP.com) in a manner that would be transparent to those with whom I exchange emails? Or to point toward a Gmail email address with similary transparent results (where emails I send would have a return address of myfirstname@myonepersoncompany.com?

In other words, I'd like allof these changes to be completely transparent to those I intereact with.
posted by imjustsaying to Computers & Internet (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Try this to get your URL pointing at a Blogger site. Unless GoDaddy is terribly broken, you should be able to forward your email to any address you like. Then it's just a matter of configuring your mail client to send mail with the correct from address.
posted by wierdo at 2:58 PM on February 26, 2012

"Google apps for your domain" will let you host email (and a google site, actually). There is a free version for up to 10 users.
posted by backwards guitar at 3:22 PM on February 26, 2012 [1 favorite]

I use Google Apps for my email. You can then log into google.com/a/myonepersoncompany.com and you'll see the gmail interface. Your recipients will still see from "myfirstname@myonepersoncompany.com".
posted by losvedir at 3:46 PM on February 26, 2012

« Older Living abroad and job searchin...   |  My long term relationship has ... Newer »