Accessories for a shorter foot?

I have one foot that is 1/2 inch longer than the other. Are there any good ways to make the shorter foot fit my shoes better?

Basically, while fitting myself for shoes recently I had to measure the length of my feet from heel to end of big toe. I discovered that my right foot (coincidentally the dominant foot) is half an inch shorter than my left. I have always bought shoes that fit my left foot best and my right foot ok. Is there anything I can do to make the shoes for my right foot fit better?

I've tried using insoles but they tend to lift my foot up and trap it sometimes too tight as opposed to stopping it from sliding forward. Is there something I can put at the front of my shoe that is comfortable, reusable, and useful?

Also, I am extremely flat footed as in no arch at all if it has any bearing on the discussion.

Thanks.
posted by lizarrd to Health & Fitness (10 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

There are gel insoles that are just for the front of the foot. Also, there are two types of toe pads. Most good shoe stores (Nordstrom, for example) provide free toe pads for when shoes are a little too narrow. And footpetals.com makes a toe pad that helps keep the foot from sliding forward, particularly in heels.
posted by shoesietart at 3:24 PM on February 22, 2012

Have you considered buying mismatched sized shoes?

If that doesn't appeal to you, I would try wearing two different socks -- one thicker than the other.
posted by mild deer at 3:24 PM on February 22, 2012

I have the same thing going on. I think you need to keep trying different insoles, in my experience, some are great, some are useless, some make things worse. I don't think making the shoe smaller from the front will help, because your foot is probably smaller overall, and it's the back and sides of the shoe that really matter. The two things I have used to compensate are a now-discontinued DrScholls contoured half-insole that pushed my foot forward and up at the heel and didn't come beyond my arch, and a sticky gel pad under the ball of the foot (less comfortable, but this was to stop my foot falling out of a high pump). Occasionally with boots or sneakers I have also worn mismatching socks, with one much thicker than the other!
posted by crabintheocean at 3:27 PM on February 22, 2012

If you care to buy shoes at places like Shoe Carnival or any big-box store, where you basically self-serve from a stack of boxes, you can very easily mix different size shoes together. I'm not saying it's allowed or kosher, of course, but it can be done.
posted by Thorzdad at 3:36 PM on February 22, 2012

Half an inch is two full sizes in the US, and that's a lot. I think you're better off getting mismatched shoes or, unfortunately, getting two pairs of shoes and discarding the non useful halves.

I think it depends on how much you spend on shoes, but in my opinion, even a shoe that's one size too big is terribly uncomfortable.
posted by thewumpusisdead at 3:39 PM on February 22, 2012

Nordstrom will sell you a pair of different-sized shoes at no extra charge. I highly recommend it.

But check the the color carefully since each shoe might have been from a different dye lot. (In my extensive experience doing this at Nordies [a godsend!] the dye problem only happened once.)
posted by jgirl at 6:29 PM on February 22, 2012

Please don't do this. I lost out on a beautiful pair of pumps at DSW because someone had done this. Do it right -- go to Nordstrom.
posted by devinemissk at 6:50 PM on February 22, 2012 [1 favorite]

Lamb's wool. Only a little bit reusable, but cheap.
posted by yohko at 9:21 PM on February 22, 2012

I used to work at a flagship store for a big shoe company, and we'd give out mismatched pairs at normal price if your feet measured 1.5 sizes apart or more. I don't have any advice for making your current shoes fit better, but you shouldn't have to deal with it in the first place. And if you do, call a manager!

And I agree with divinemissk, mismates create nothing but headache and heartache.
posted by clorox at 6:58 PM on February 24, 2012

Also, just a mention I am male, though the possibility of wearing drag and/or heels is not out of the question at all, I usually do not wear heels.
posted by lizarrd at 3:05 PM on February 25, 2012

« Older On a whim my husband and I boo...   |  I just saw a thought provoking... Newer »