Where, around Tokyo, can I have my blood tested for specific genetic mutations?

Where, around Tokyo, can I have my blood tested for specific genetic mutations? Specifically, protrombin 20210 and factor V (5) Leiden.

Following a pulmonary thrombosis, my sister was advised to get tested for a few known genetic mutations, and the results came back positive for two of them: protrombin 20210 and factor V (5) Leiden.
I was advised to get tested myself, but I can't find any clinic that performs this kind of test. Could it be that Japan is so far behind medically?

Do you know if this kind of test is covered by any standard medical insurance, and if not, how much it would cost?
posted by ovesh to Health & Fitness (2 answers total)

Looks like 23andme includes this test. Cost is about $200. You will probably need someone in the US to purchase and send you the kit.
posted by cosmac at 11:49 AM on February 22, 2012

I had a deep vein thrombosis in 2009, and testing for these, as well as lupus anticoagulant antibodies and a few other goodies, were all entirely covered by my vanilla Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance policy. However, I'm in the U.S. and we don't know what kind of insurance you actually carry, so any comment would be pure conjecture. I suggest you contact a hematologist there and also ask your insurance company how they handle international coverage.
posted by The Wrong Kind of Cheese at 5:14 PM on February 22, 2012 [1 favorite]

« Older I've read that a podcast becom...   |  My partner and I are currently... Newer »