Seeking: Photo of a bored, violent cop, Chicago, 1968.

I'm looking for a famous photo from the 1968 Chicago Democratic National Convention: a policeman, carrying a club, has his arm back ready to strike the photographer. The cop has a helmet, a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, and a bored expression, looking right at the camera.

I'm sure I saw this photo in the middle of a book about the 1968 riots, but I haven't been able to find it. If I remember correctly, the story was that the photographer got beaten by this cop immediately afterwards.

Can anyone point me to a reference?
posted by xil to Society & Culture (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

http://4thefirsttime.blogspot.com/2008/11/2008-first-time-democrats-gather-in.html
posted by frieze at 1:40 AM on February 21, 2012

Photographer Jo Freeman's account [detailed] (does not include personally getting clubbed).
posted by dhartung at 4:11 AM on February 21, 2012

It might be in this book.
posted by gjc at 5:44 AM on February 21, 2012

None of those, unfortunately. The cop was looking right at the camera.
posted by xil at 10:03 AM on February 21, 2012

« Older Bored in Ann Arbor: *How* does...   |  Where did the expression "... Newer »