Kittens, kittens, kittens, kittens...
February 20, 2012 4:30 PM Subscribe
Kitten is pregnant! Help please!
posted by Trexsock to Pets & Animals (30 answers total)
As mentioned in a previous question of mine, I currently own 2 (well, babysitting a 3rd for a friend of ours) cats: a male acquired in September 2011, who got neutered mid-January 2012 and a loving little lady cat, who I got as a Christmas/Birthday present from my partner, and was 'bought' after having been spayed.
Now, I realize I am terribly irresponsible for allowing this to happen, but please, do bear with me as I'm trying to find out what's the best course of action to take.
The reason for the male cat kitten to have been neutered so late at around 7 months old had to do with the fact that before and after getting him, I'd been reading several articles about how early neutering can cause hormonal growth problems and decided to leave the surgery for after the brunt of his growth was done. I don't regret doing it for the reason that he's a wonderful, normal-sized kitty. although I know that things would be much simpler if I had.
Having never actually owned a female cat, and considering that female cats don't bleed like dogs do, I was a complete ignorant regarding signs of cat heat and never really did notice any signs of the female kitten being in heat, nor did I ever notice any signs of mating. The male and female did get along after a couple weeks and would/will occasionally sleep in the same couch, but nothing more than that. I did notice her belly getting slightly rounder and firmer, but didn't think much of it since the same had happened to the male's before a growth spurt and indeed, she was/is rather small for her age.
It was a HUGE surprise, last week, when we finally realized that there was something wrong with her (finally reaching the conclusion that she must've been/was/is pregnant) and rushed her to the vet, only to be told that she was NEVER SPAYED, and that an emergency spay would be too dangerous and it was better to wait it out.
Taking her back to the family where we got her from is not an option. Looking back, this was an horrible thing to do because there's no paperwork binding her to the family (only to us because of the vet visits) and although she is a truly loving, sociable kitten... never again.
Now, she's due around the mid of March and I'd like to know what are the better options:
- Considering we currently house another two cats, should she be completely separated for them? (There's only two rooms where this is possible, the shower room and a spare room with some closets where it is always freezing cold).
- What is the best thing to do with the kittens (assuming they are born alive and healthy)? My partner is strongly for culling them as we do not want any more (adult) cats in the house. But I'd like to take them to a shelter if possible? This is my our biggest disagreement about the whole thing so far.
We didn't get either kitten from a shelter, so we're not sure if it's possible to raise them to an acceptable age (say, 10-12 weeks) and then take them there to be adopted, without getting into any sort of issue.
Honestly, we try to be responsible owners for all our critters (big and small!) but this has really blown us away. Please send help! (Forgive me for any spelling error, slightly shaky here).