Looking for some recommendations for serious fantasy books, especially those inspired by fairy tales. A couple guidelines inside.
I just finished reading Daughter of Smoke & Bone
and Lips Touch: Three Times
by the very excellent Laini Taylor, and I would really like to read some more serious high fantasy with delectable writing. Both books are clearly inspired by fairy tales, of the sort where there are chimera and goblins, not Disney princesses. That is what I'm really
asking for and hoping to find, but I am also open to other sorts of fantasy recommendations using these parameters:
* Not a lot of silliness. Think of Christopher Moore and then go with the opposite of that.
* Female main character preferred.
* Would like to stay away from wizards & dragons typical fantasy trope.
* Evocative writing, leaning more toward flowery than workmanlike.
* Can be adult, YA, or kids - I read it all.
If it helps, I have also read and enjoyed China Mieville's The City and the City
, Diana Wynne Jones' Howl's Moving Castle
and of course, Game of Thrones