Moving: When the baby is inside or outside?
February 15, 2012 2:55 AM Subscribe
My husband and I own a small house, and were originally planning on moving early next year. We got some good news over the holidays and I am now nearing the end of the first trimester of my first pregnancy. We'd still like to move, but is it easier to do this while I'm pregnant or should we wait until the baby is 6 months old?
posted by smalls to human relations (34 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Our choices seem to be: move by the 7th month of pregnancy or wait until we have a 6 month old baby. Well, there's also don't move at all, but we don't like that one. I really need help determining the benefits of moving now vs. moving later. Here are some additional details:
Logistics: We can get the house on the market around my 16th week of pregnancy. Average time on the market in our area is 85 days, with well-priced houses going much faster. This is our first house, so we have no experience with purchasing a home while selling another. If the house doesn't sell within 13 weeks, we'd take it off the market and try again next year. This would be a local move, 20 miles max, and there are a number of houses in the area we are interested in. We're looking at newer houses so hopefully no more than paint and cleaning required. We have a place to stay if we happen to be "between houses" for a few weeks, although there is no air conditioning so I wouldn't want to stay for too long once July hits (we're in southern New England). If I was put on bedrest, I'd go to the in-laws and work from home.
Cnsiderations: We were already planning on getting the house as ready for sale as possible before the baby arrives, but there are additional baby related tasks we need to complete if we don't move (such as putting the contents of a bedroom into storage and consolidating closets). I'd prefer to do the move and get the baby's room set up just once. I'd like to be able to set up things like daycare and pediatricians once, in our new location. I'd also LOVE to have a spare bedroom so my mom/in-laws can stay and help out if needed (not really possible in our current house).
Financial: The sale of this house is necessary to purchase our next house, although it would not be if we waited until after the baby was born. We cut into our savings by moving earlier, but we'd still have about 30K available for emergencies and we could build it back up relatively quickly. We have excellent health insurance with a very low out of pocket maximum, and our cars are newer, so I'm thinking any emergencies are likely to be related to our new house. Job prospects and security are very strong for both of us, and we could live off of one income for awhile if needed. Our only debt is our current (low) mortgage and a monthly car payment. Am I being realistic here?
So, move sooner or move later? As you can probably tell, I'm very partial to getting the move over with sooner. My husband is not so sure, but we're going to work over the next few weeks to see how ready we can get the house before deciding. My husband does not like to rush things, so even though we've been talking about moving for months, moving the date is very sudden to him. Please note: I feel my husband is severely underestimating the demands of a new baby, while I am probably moderately underestimating the hassle of moving while pregnant. Feel free to address this aspect as we have little experience in these areas.