Can my undocumented friend drive my car? Can I drive his? How do we stay safe?
February 10, 2012 6:50 AM Subscribe
Can my undocumented friend drive my car? Can I drive his car? Will my insurance cover it and am I putting myself or him (or other drivers) at any risk?
posted by anonymous to law & government (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
My friend is undocumented. I am a legal citizen of the US. We like to hang out, and I am wondering whether he can drive at all or whether it is on me to do the driving. I would like to avoid any legal trouble for myself and him, as well as financial trouble should something happen to us or the car.
- My friend has his own car and a driver's license (I assume it's fake but haven't asked)
- My friend doesn't have car insurance
- I have a car and car insurance
- I drive his car. We get into an accident or get pulled over. Will my insurance cover this? Will I get into trouble because his car wasn't insured? Is there any risk to him?
- He drives my car. We get into an accident or get pulled over. Will my insurance cover this even though he was driving (I think the answer is yes and can actually check this with my insurance). More important question: Will he be at risk in this case? Am I liable for anything if they learn that I let a driver with a falsified license drive my car?
- I drive my car and he rides. This seems like the safest option to me!
I am going to check with an immigration lawyer or an anonymous service to see what the real rules are, but wanted to check in case someone has experience with this. I trust my friend to drive; he is a good driver.