Awesome ESL Projects
February 8, 2012 8:38 PM Subscribe
I'm looking for a fun medium to long term project for an advanced ESL student.
posted by one little who to Education (8 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
For the past few months, I've been volunteering giving ESL lessons through a program at my university. In the past we've done small exercises and activities, reviewing new grammar, vocabulary, and reading each time we meet. My student's English is pretty advanced. He struggles with some grammar and occasionally with pronunciation, but generally is very good at getting his point across clearly and quickly, has a good working vocabulary, and understands just about everything that I say. I occasionally explain things in Spanish (his native language,) but it's rarely necessary.
We talked about goals for the lessons at our last meeting, and we both think it would be fun to start a longer term project. A few years ago he made a cooking video with a previous tutor, and really liked that, so I'm thinking something along those lines, though I don't have the video editing skills that his previous tutor did. I'm looking for ideas of projects that we can work on together during these lessons.
Things that I'm looking for:
- This is a one-on-one tutoring situation, so this needs to be something that my student can work on on his own, with my help.
- It has to be something that doesn't involve too much homework for either of us. We meet for and hour and a half twice a week, and ideally we could work on the project during that time.
- We'll be meeting most weeks between now and the beginning of May, so this project could be something we work on from a couple of weeks to a few months.
- It shouldn't require too many complicated materials or too much space. I have basic school supplies and art supplies, a computer (though it would be easier if we didn't have to use the computer all the time,) and a DSLR camera (with video, though the audio's not too great.)
- My student is an adult, so he might not be interested in projects targeted at kids.
- It ideally should produce some kind of tangible product
- And of course, it should be lots of fun!
ESL teachers and students of Metafilter - what are some awesome, creative ESL projects that you've done or assigned?