Fastest upload online backup

I am looking for a fastest upload online backup. Which is the fastest uploading speed?
posted by omaralarifi to Computers & Internet (6 answers total)

If you're using S3, mail your data to Amazon and they'll sneakernet it into your bucket of choice. Subsequent online syncs and diff-based backups should run much faster.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 3:21 PM on February 3, 2012 [2 favorites]

Crashplan supports seeding (other services may as well). Other than that, your upload speed is not limited by the provider -- it is limited by your ISP's upload speed.
posted by misterbrandt at 3:53 PM on February 3, 2012 [1 favorite]

Do you even have the bandwidth for the connection speed to matter?

It's not really that well tested because in 99.9% of cases the shitty upload bandwidth of consumer connections will be the limiting factor.
posted by Talez at 5:57 PM on February 3, 2012

You can test your upload speed with tools like this. But, yeah, your connection is definitely the limiting factor, not the online provider.
posted by odinsdream at 7:15 PM on February 3, 2012

Every single online backup service will accept data much faster than you can send it. If you need it to go faster, you'll have to get a faster internet connection.
posted by rhizome at 11:11 AM on February 4, 2012

Youre the bottleneck not the service. Whats your upload speed? I suspect the data centers of the world can outdo your residential upload speed. The fastest US speed I've seen is FIOS's 25mbps upload, but 2 to 5 is more typical. That's not much. Even the cheapest data centers offer 100/100mbps speeds to their cheapest packages.
posted by damn dirty ape at 11:32 AM on February 4, 2012

« Older I want to start a very simple ...   |  My platelet count is low, but ... Newer »