how to get a giraffe in a fridge

I'm after similar logic/riddle questions to the following four part one, anyone able to post some? Mainly just find these fun, not taking the 'science' parts seriously. (answers to these questions in the post) 1. How do you put a giraffe into a refrigerator? 2. How do you put an elephant into a refrigerator? 3. The King of the Forest is hosting an animal conference. All the animals attend except one. Which animal does not attend? 4. There is a river you must cross but it is inhabited by crocodiles. How do you manage it?

"1. The correct answer is: Open the refrigerator, put in the giraffe, and close the door.
This question tests whether you tend to do simple things in an overly complicated way.

2. Correct Answer: Open the refrigerator, take out the giraffe, put in the elephant and close the door.
This tests your ability to think through the repercussions of your previous actions.

3. The Elephant. The elephant is in the refrigerator. You just put him in there.
This tests your memory.

4. Correct Answer: You swim across. All the crocodiles are attending the animal conference.
This tests whether you learn quickly from your mistakes.

Note: According to sources, Anderson Consulting Worldwide (now "Accenture"), said around 90% of the professionals they tested got all questions wrong. But many preschoolers got several correct answers. Anderson Consulting reportedly said this conclusively disproves the theory that most professionals have the brains of a four year old."
posted by MattWPBS to Society & Culture (22 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I'm a little confused. Are you looking for bad jokes disguised as riddles?

(Because that is not a riddle. It is a bad joke. Also, I LOVE bad jokes, and this happens to incorporate one of my favorites!)
posted by Grither at 7:20 AM on February 2, 2012 [2 favorites]

This is more "bad joke chain mail" than "logic question". You can probably find similar things here. and here.
posted by EtzHadaat at 7:22 AM on February 2, 2012 [1 favorite]

The one my father always tells is "If a plane crashed on the border of the US and Canada, where would they bury the survivors?"

I have to tell you, though, if I met anyone who thought that the answers above were the right answers to those questions, I'd prefer not to discuss anything of importance with them. Especially if they were billing me for it.

A: They wouldn't bury the survivors.
posted by activitystory at 7:25 AM on February 2, 2012 [4 favorites]

Q. You have in your possession two U.S. coins whose value, when added up, is thirty cents. One of them is not a nickel. What are they?

A. A quarter and a nickel.
posted by FAMOUS MONSTER at 7:28 AM on February 2, 2012 [1 favorite]

A lot of these come up in interviews. Here's a whole list (including a variation on the elephant/refrigerator one) with a bunch of solutions.

I really hate these; they're capricious. Ok, a giraffe fits in a fridge. Maybe so, it could be an industrial fridge. Of course, the "correct" answer for putting the elephant in the fridge is that you need to take the giraffe out, because the fridge--although big enough for a giraffe--is simply not big enough for an elephant and a giraffe.

And, of course, the elephant would not climb out of the fridge to go to the animal meeting. He's stuck in the fridge, presumably frozen.

It's bizarre to me that someone would go through the exercise of creating a lateral thinking puzzle, and then assume there's only one answer. It's just a "what number am I thinking of" exercise.

And how. Run.
posted by Admiral Haddock at 7:29 AM on February 2, 2012 [9 favorites]

Q) What's the difference between an elephant and a grape?
A) Grapes are purple

Q) What did Tarzan say when he saw the elephants coming over the hill?
A) "Here come the elephants coming over the hill"

Q) What did Jane say when she saw the elephants coming over the hill?
A) "Here come the grapes coming over the hill." (Jane was color blind)
posted by bondcliff at 7:31 AM on February 2, 2012 [3 favorites]

As a kid, I had a few Mensa "brain bender" puzzle books that had a lot of these, in addition to the more usual puzzles involving rearranging toothpicks and stuff like that. You might take a look at those.
posted by backseatpilot at 7:40 AM on February 2, 2012

Q:Why do elephants paint their testicles red?
A:So they can hide in cherry trees.

Q:Have you ever seen an elephant in a cherry tree?
(After they respond in the negative)
A:It works!

Q:What's the loudest sound in the jungle?
A:Giraffes eating cherries.

This joke was shamelessly stolen from a mefighter friend, thanks!
posted by Grither at 7:44 AM on February 2, 2012 [11 favorites]

1. How do you put a giraffe into a refrigerator?

I saw this and immediately thought that some sort of bone saw would be required, which probably means I've been on MetaFilter too long.
posted by jquinby at 7:51 AM on February 2, 2012 [7 favorites]

...and as for resources, the rec.puzzles archive is a treasure trove of these sorts of things.
posted by jquinby at 7:53 AM on February 2, 2012

Why did the seal fall out of the tree?
A. He was dead

Why did the other seal fall out of the tree?
A. He thought first seal was playing a game

Why did the tree fall over?
A. Too many dead seals
posted by Ms. Moonlight at 8:16 AM on February 2, 2012

I was in a "team building" exercise once and we were asked to break into small groups to discuss the following question: You are in a sealed room with no windows and no light. You only have a single match with which to light any of the light sources in the room. There is a candle, an oil lamp, and a pile of logs with tinder. What do you light first?

After each group had given their answer (most groups said the candle, but one said the oil lamp), the questioner gave us the 'correct' answer: "Myself, I'd light the match first."

[Needless to say, this did indeed build team spirit, as we all bonded together in wanting to punch her in the face repeatedly.]
posted by marginaliana at 8:38 AM on February 2, 2012 [1 favorite]

My favourite one is also about elephants and fridges (seriously, what is it with these jokes and putting large animals in fridges):

Q: How can you tell that an elephant has been in the fridge?
A: Footprints in the butter.

Q: How many elephants can you fit in a Mini?
A: Four: two in the front, two in the back.

Q: How do you know when there are four elephants in your fridge?
A: There's a Mini parked in the driveway.
posted by fight or flight at 8:55 AM on February 2, 2012

Q. What do you get when you cross an elephant and a grape?

A. Elephant grape sin(theta).

Q. What do you get when you cross a mountain climber and a billy goat?

A. You can't cross a mountain climber and a billy goat, they're scalars!

(look, we'd had elephants and grapes several times already. What is it about them and jokes?)
posted by leahwrenn at 9:01 AM on February 2, 2012 [2 favorites]

What aspects of your example questions are important to you in terms of similarity? Use of animals? That they are trick questions? The multi-partedness of it?
posted by RobotHero at 10:24 AM on February 2, 2012

Q: How do you fit $BIGNUM elephants in a $EXPENSIVE_CAR?

A: Sell $EXPENSIVE_CAR and buy $BIGNUM/4 Minis
posted by Dr Dracator at 11:55 AM on February 2, 2012

There's a British variation on the elephant joke.

Q: How do you get four elephants in a mini?
A: Two in the front, two in the back.

Q: How do you get three hippos in a mini?
A: Take out the elephants, one in the front, one in the back, one in the boot.

Q: How do you get two whales in a mini?
A: Cross the Severn bridge
posted by Wysawyg at 3:05 PM on February 2, 2012 [1 favorite]

Why did the koala fall out of the tree? It was dead.

Why did the second koala fall out of the tree? It was stapled to the first koala.

Why did the thirdd koala fall out of the tree? Peer pressure.

Why did the man fall off his bike? He was struck with a falling koala.

Why did the fish fall off its bike? Because it's a fish.

What is fuzzy and might kill you if it falls on you? A pool table.
posted by kjs4 at 3:29 PM on February 2, 2012 [1 favorite]

How do you put a giraffe into a refrigerator?
The correct answer is: Open the refrigerator, put in the giraffe, and close the door.

And here I thought I was so clever for thinking the answer would be "Take one of the 'F's out of "giraffe" (then all the letters in "a girafe" would all be found in "a refrigerator").
posted by Rykey at 5:51 PM on February 2, 2012 [1 favorite]

I'm pretty sure these all were found in my big book of jokes that I used to "entertain" (read: annoy) my parents with.

My favorite chain from there:
How do you shoot a blue elephant?
With a blue elephant gun.

How do you shoot a green elephant?
With a green elephant gun.

How do you shoot a red elephant?
Hold its trunk until it turns blue, then shoot it with a blue elephant gun.
posted by RyanAdams at 5:39 PM on February 6, 2012

Am I the only one who noticed that there's a near-anagram of giraffe hidden in the word refrigerator?
posted by dontoine at 8:28 AM on June 20, 2012

Nope.
posted by Rykey at 10:11 AM on June 22, 2012

« Older CALLING ALL SEM SPECIALISTS: ...   |  How do LGBT rights impact corp... Newer »