UFOs in NJ? Fireballs in the sky? What's going on?

UFOs in New Jersey? Fireballs in the sky? WTF did we just see?

Earlier this evening I saw a weird deflated ball-shaped object floating over my head. It's hard for me to say how large it was or how high it was, but I think it was about the size of a deflated large exercise ball, maybe 6-10 stories above my head, floating slowly toward Philadelphia.

Half an hour ago, my friend saw several fireballs in the sky, moving slower and lower than a jet.

We are in Southern New Jersey.
posted by ellenaim to Science & Nature (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I would guess that they were Chinese Sky Lanterns.
posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo at 4:22 PM on January 26, 2012 [1 favorite]

Does this look at all similar? If so, definitely a sky lantern - you can find dozens of videos showing them on youtube, so you can see if any of them look about right.
posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo at 4:24 PM on January 26, 2012

In case you didn't know, the Chinese new year began on the 23rd and ends with the Lantern Festival on the 15th day (I think) but lanterns are often lit before then because they look so awesome.
posted by saucysault at 4:41 PM on January 26, 2012

Thirding Chinese sky lanterns. Happy New Year! Kind of a let-down, I'm sure. I'd prefer it were aliens, too.
posted by heyho at 4:42 PM on January 26, 2012 [1 favorite]

That looks right. Thanks!
posted by ellenaim at 4:43 PM on January 26, 2012

You should write a short story about the lanterns, but wait a few months before you publish it.
posted by b1tr0t at 7:49 PM on January 26, 2012

« Older I am trying to find photos of ...   |  I am looking for the right rou... Newer »