Does Ben Sherman make quality shoes?

I'm thinking about buying a pair of Ben Sherman Manchester boots on super sale from JackThreads, but I'm concerned they'll just be another pair of cheap Chinese-made shoes and a waste of a hundred bucks. Anybody have experience with recently made Ben Sherman shoes in general or this model specifically? Alternatively, if you have good experiences with black, mid-calf (10-12 eyelet) boots, I'd like to hear those, too.
posted by maniactown to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I don't have an answer, but to help you with your searching, those are in the style of jump boots.
posted by duckstab at 6:04 AM on January 23, 2012

I don't know about those boots specifically but went through this same search when it finally came time to replace my Docs (which are now made in China).

Two brands of Jump Boots made in the USA are Corcoran (the real deal, what soldiers wear (the ones I bought)) and Vintage (expensive and beautiful (I bought a different style and they are my favorite favorite boots)). Here's a link to a page with both: http://search.shoeline.com/search.aspx?q=jump+boots&sorttype=D&pageno=1
posted by ilikecookies at 6:56 AM on January 23, 2012 [2 favorites]

And by link, I mean link
posted by ilikecookies at 6:57 AM on January 23, 2012

If you're interested in real-deal military boots, here are some black, made-in-usa, military boots*. Danner brand is considered, basically, top of the line. Altama and Belleville are also well regarded brands.

*Full disclosure - This is one of my employer's sites.
posted by Jacob G at 8:21 AM on January 23, 2012

These are not quite the same style because they have a moc toe, but I love the Quoddy Maine Woodsman, which is a 10 eyelet. They are sewn by hand in the USA in Maine and the construction is impeccable. They will last a lifetime and can always been resoled or repaired as they wear.
posted by doomtop at 8:59 AM on January 23, 2012

I purchased a pair of those boots about two months ago; aside from some fiddling to get the tongues to lie flat, they're marvelous. Of course I can't speak to their longevity, but they feel well-constructed so far.
posted by zakj at 12:21 PM on January 23, 2012

Never worn Shermans, but I'll vouch for Danners being some fine-ass footwear. And they're made in the USA!
posted by word_virus at 1:49 PM on January 23, 2012

My general rule is to only buy shoes from a company whose main line of business is making shoes. It's a pretty safe presumption that their shoes are contracted out to a Chinese factory... and even if you are going to buy shoes that are Chinese-made, it's a safer bet to buy them from a company whose brand-identity depends on the quality of their shoes.

(and I say this as someone who likes Ben Sherman's clothes)
posted by deanc at 4:48 PM on January 23, 2012

« Older What are your favorite low-car...   |  Science fiction/horror movie m... Newer »