Did this cartoon exist?

When I was a kid, I remember watching a cartoon that I only remember a few details about. Any ideas?

Right, I will be *super* surprised if anyone is able to answer this, but I'll give it a try...

1) It had a kid in it who was reading a pop-up picture book. He read this book under his covers. The pop-up book might have come alive.
2) It has a creepy other character who was an old man. Possibly he had a cane that he electrocuted kids with. Not sure about this bit.
3) I think that one story point was about kids going to sleep on time and the creepy guy had to make sure that they did.
4) I watched this on video in the late 80s, so I would have been about 6 - 8 here.
5) The whole thing *really* freaked me out, but because I was a kid, I can't remember the name of it or anything else of substance.

It *wasn't* the Page-master btw. Older than that.

Obviously, Google doesn't throw up anything definitive on this, so I turn to the hive mind and ask if this is at all familiar or am I making it all up?
posted by Scottie_Bob to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Sorry, I should have added that this was in the UK, Scotland to be precise.
posted by Scottie_Bob at 2:09 PM on January 22, 2012

Was it Jamie and the Magic Torch?
posted by iconomy at 2:40 PM on January 22, 2012

Here are some youtubes of it, seems pretty horrible ;P
posted by iconomy at 2:42 PM on January 22, 2012

Nope, I don't think so. The pop-up book was definitely important, but it's the right kind of time period.
posted by Scottie_Bob at 3:17 PM on January 22, 2012

« Older A recent Spanish film, Silence...   |  Are there awesome British podc... Newer »