Graduate School or Possible Promotion?
January 19, 2012 6:52 PM Subscribe
Graduate school versus possible promotion?
posted by Rinoia to Work & Money (6 answers total)
So I've just finished turning in applications for a master's degree in my chosen (after five years out of school) field. I think I'll be a pretty good candidate - I've had some interesting experiences, have a solid academic background at a good school, and have generally gotten a good base of work experience.
My conundrum is this: one of my coworkers unexpectedly got a new job and left just in the past 3-4 weeks or so. Initially, I really wanted her job and the thought of grad school flew right out of my head. Although I generally like the day to day of my current job, I am at a point where I want to move up, as I am more or less at the bottom of the totem pole right now (this current position has been kind of my first "real" job out of college, after having a few internships and volunteering abroad). So the thought of getting her job, which is a rung up on said totem pole, was very appealing.
However, when I discussed the possibility with our supervisor, I found out that they are changing the responsibilities for this job in a way that makes me markedly less enthusiastic about it. Not that it will be less responsible, just that the responsibilities it will include are less interesting to me than my current job. I didn't really get a good read one way or the other from my supervisor when I talked with her about my chances for the position (more "we'll be happy to consider your application") though she's kind of a stickler for doing things by the book and I don't know that she would let on if she thought I was a good prospect one way or the other anyway.
So I guess my question - apply for the position or not? The timing is crap because if I applied and got offered the position, I would probably still not know at that point if I had been accepted to grad school or not and the possible financial aid. If someone told me right now, "you can have this position or you can have one of the grad programs you applied to with enough financial aid for you not to worry about things that much," I would go with grad school no questions asked.
Another complication is that I know that another colleague will be leaving a couple of months after the grad school decisions are communicated to me - and the job of this colleague would be substantially more interesting to me than the job that is currently up for grabs. I'm also not quite sure if I'd be qualified for this job, but I'm willing to bet that I would be. So it seems to make sense to me to wait for the graduate school decisions and then if they don't work out apply for the second coworker's job and start looking around for a new job generally speaking. But of course this other position is open now and I am really really tired of being in an entry level-ish position. What should I do?