Calling the US from Europe with Google: free for everyone?

If I use Google Voice from Europe to call someone in the US, does the other person get charged for a long-distance call? Or does the number appear as a US number?
posted by Busoni to Technology (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The call will come from your Google Voice number, which is a domestic US number. No international long distance for the recipient.
posted by khedron at 10:25 AM on January 19, 2012

I don't think there's any scenario where the US recipient of an call originated abroad gets charged international rates, GV or not.
posted by kickingtheground at 10:36 AM on January 19, 2012

I've done this plenty of times when I've been abroad, and it just appears like you're calling from your US Google Voice number, so they'll be charged whatever they'd be charged if you were calling from within the US.
posted by deansfurniture5 at 10:46 AM on January 19, 2012

@kickingtheground Some cellphone plans still charge for incoming calls (mostly in the sense that those minutes are deducted from your monthly limit). Its been a while since I've had an international call, so I dunno whether there is a different charge for receiving one from overseas or not...

@Busoni If you're concerned about charges, maybe look into skype or something similar instead? The friend I used to chat with from the UK used to do voice chats over msn or other programs that offered the option.
posted by myShanon at 10:52 AM on January 19, 2012

Thanks, everyone, that's what I thought, but I had a moment of panic when someone brought up the issue, and I started worrying about all the people I'd called in the past.
posted by Busoni at 11:23 AM on January 19, 2012

« Older Where, exactly, on Mulholland ...   |  Hivemind: Do you know any resp... Newer »