Tell me about being a UX monkey
January 17, 2012 11:48 AM Subscribe
I think I want to be a UX/UI designer. Tell me about the nitty-gritty of daily life and whether a grad program would be worthwhile.
posted by jingle to Work & Money (7 answers total) 28 users marked this as a favorite
A few months ago, I visited the career center at my university to take a test and talk about the results. My test indicated that I would be happiest with careers in the vein of writing, art, psychology, and teaching. My advisor mentioned UX design. Since then, I've read up on the UX/UI canon, followed a lot of twitters, and visited a godawful number of blogs. And I'm finding I'm fascinated and kind of love interface design.
Finally, my questions:
- What else can I do to prepare myself for work or a grad program?
- What are your hours like? 40 a week? 45? More? What kind of company do you work for?
- What is your typical day like?
- Did you pursue a MA or PhD? If so, would you recommend it? Did you do HCI, Information Science, or something else?
- How did you end up in your current position? Networking? IxDA job listings? Indeed?
Any other information you want to share would be fantastic.