Where can I find pro-SOPA arguments/videos?

I teach computer science and would like to educate my students on the SOPA controversy. I can find lots of resources online (including entertaining videos) against SOPA but haven't had any luck finding arguments in favor of SOPA (except for sarcastic/satirical ones). Any pointers?
posted by espertus to Computers & Internet (12 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Have them research something tomorrow.
posted by michaelh at 10:35 AM on January 17, 2012 [3 favorites]

Here is the Senate Judiciary Committee's page on the subject -- they have lots of "in support" statements and letters, so presumably there's some pro arguments in there.
posted by brainmouse at 10:40 AM on January 17, 2012

The Congressional Research Service has a summary as well.
posted by rmd1023 at 10:43 AM on January 17, 2012 [1 favorite]

I wrote to my senator (Chuck Schumer) about PROTECT IP (one of the Senate's censorship attempts) and SOPA (yes, I know, it's a House bill). Here's the idiotic form letter I got in return. It doesn't even mention SOPA, or address any of my concerns about SOPA... and as such, I think it's a good representative example of the pro-SOPA side of things.

Dear qxntpqbbbqxl:

Thank you for your contacting me in opposition to S.968, the PROTECT IP Act. Like you, I believe that consumers should have access to a vibrant and innovative online community to discuss their ideas and opinions. At the same time, we must not let the internet become a haven for intellectual property thieves.

The threat to intellectual property owners over the internet is clear. Every year, the US Chamber of Commerce estimates that copyright theft costs our nation about $58 billion in lost output, 373,375 in lost jobs, and $16 billion in lost employee earnings. These numbers present an unacceptable burden to US businesses. In addition, companies may be less likely to innovate because their products may be stolen by intellectual property pirates, creating a drag on the US economy.

The PROTECT IP Act addresses the problem of intellectual property theft online, but it also contains important due process protections to ensure that legal activity over the internet is not disrupted. As you may know, the PROTECT IP Act would allow the Department of Justice to file a claim against a website that 1) has no significant purpose other than engaging in or facilitating copyright infringement, circumventing technology controlling access to copyrighted works, or selling or promoting counterfeit goods or services; or (2) is designed, operated, or marketed and used to engage in such activities. A judge would have to find that a website is intentionally violating intellectual property rights of an American entity before he could issue an order against that site. I believe PROTECT IP Act would provide law enforcement and intellectual property holders additional tools to protect American intellectual property from websites while still ensuring the constitutionally protected rights of free speech and due process. The PROTECT IP Act currently is awaiting action on the floor of the Senate, and I will continue to monitor this bill as it moves through the Senate.

Thank you for contacting me on this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can ever be of assistance to you on this, or any other matter.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Schumer
United States Senator

posted by qxntpqbbbqxl at 10:43 AM on January 17, 2012

Great responses, all! I'll hold off on marking brainmouse's as the best answer to see if I get more suggestions. (I'm hoping for a video also, since there are some dramatic anti-SOPA ones.)
posted by espertus at 10:48 AM on January 17, 2012

I wrote a blog post about SOPA and someone directed me to this letter from the MPAA (pdf) expressing why they feel SOPA is not just justified constitutionally, but necessary.
posted by jessamyn at 10:56 AM on January 17, 2012

A great reference for this is Robert Levine, whose book, Free Ride, has calls for legislation that predate SOPA. I'll look through his site to see if it has any videos.
posted by zabuni at 11:38 AM on January 17, 2012

Some interviews with him.

Aha! A video.
posted by zabuni at 11:43 AM on January 17, 2012

And an audio interview, this one directly about SOPA.
posted by zabuni at 11:45 AM on January 17, 2012

Much like qxntpqbbbqxl, my rep also returned my email. Hope it helps!
Dear Ms. Song:

Thank you for informing me of your opposition to S. 968, the Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property (PROTECT IP) Act of 2011. Your thoughts on this important matter are most welcome and appreciated.

As you may know, Senator Patrick Leahy (VT) introduced S. 968 on May 12, 2011. If enacted, this legislation would provide additional protection against internet websites dedicated to online piracy and the sale of counterfeit goods. Specifically, S. 968 would authorize the Attorney General (AG) and rights holders to bring actions against online infringers operating an internet site or domain where the site is dedicated to infringing activities, but with remedies limited to eliminating the financial viability of the site, not blocking access. Further, this legislation would provide protection for domain name registries, registrars, search engines, payment processors, and advertising networks from damages resulting from their voluntary action against any infringing website that endangers the public health by offering counterfeit, adulterated, or misbranded pharmaceutical products. Presently, this legislation awaits action in the Senate Committee on the Judiciary. As yet, no companion legislation has been introduced in the House.

Rest assured, your thoughts on this important issue will be remembered during the 112th Congress. Again, thank you for contacting me, and for all you do for our community and our country. Should you have any further comments or questions on this or any other issue, please contact me at my office in Livonia, Milford, or Washington, D.C.

I work for you.

Sincerely,
Thaddeus G. McCotter
Member of Congress
Suffice it to say I don't want this man representing me in the future.
posted by royalsong at 12:45 PM on January 17, 2012

Creative America is pretty het up about SOPA and here is the "send a letter" page that they have which encourages people to tell their reps to support it.
posted by jessamyn at 1:14 PM on January 17, 2012

I googled sopa pros and cons.
http://www.emedialaw.com/sopa-the-debate-in-plain-english/
posted by theora55 at 5:59 PM on January 17, 2012

« Older Sometime in the last century, ...   |  I travel a fair amount, and pr... Newer »