Game and Watch
January 16, 2012 9:04 AM Subscribe
I'm looking for console games that are as much fun to watch as they are to play.
posted by murphy slaw to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (27 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite
I just finished playing Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. For a month or so, it was the evening entertainment for me and my wife - I would play for a couple of hours each evening and she would watch, make suggestions about where to go next, and help with puzzles.
I'm looking for more games that we can play together. I asked my wife what were the things that helped Skyward Sword hold her interest, and she said:
1) It was pretty, with detailed environments and expressive characters and monsters.
2) She liked the structure of the main quest line with lots of side missions and collecting - it gave her things to look out for in the environment while I played.
3) She liked the story and the characters, especially the touches of humor.
4) The puzzles gave her something to think about and made he feel involved because she could make suggestions.
Things she does not like in games:
1) GrimDark. Too much explicit violence and gore, humorless beefy dudes beating up demons/aliens/zombies.
2) Grinding. Turn-based combat is a turn-off (unless it's exceptionally beautiful to watch) and any kind of play that involves doing the same thing over and over just to buff stats is a non-starter.
3) Pure action without significant story or puzzle elements.
I have a Wii fully loaded with homebrew emulators and a PS3 with hardware PS2 compatibility, so I can play almost anything except for XBox/360 exclusives. I've already played all of the other 3D Zeldas and would prefer to play something else if possible.
What should be next on our list?