I need a warm up!

Help me find this beer.

I feel like this is a dumb question, but i'm trying to track down a beer that I had last winter. It was so good that I got a bit too tipsy to remember the name (not really, I'm just forgetful).

Things I know about the beer:
-I drank it at the horse brass pub in Portland, Ore.
-It was a guest tap, not a bottle.
-It was a very high-alcohol-percentage beer (and only sold by the glass, not pint).
-I'm 90% sure it was a barleywine.
-It had a really pleasant, not sickenly-sweet finish that was reminiscent of maple-syrup. I am fairly certain it was brewed with maple syrup.
-the beer may have been called Nor'Easter something, BUT, I know for a fact that it was not made by the nor'eastern brewing company

Help! It's getting cold and I would love to track more of this down.
posted by furnace.heart to Food & Drink (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Because it was horse brass, I'm inclined to wonder if it was something local? Could it have been Hopworks Noggin Floggin Barleywine, which I think was a special seasonal last winter, served in a snifter?

Do you remember anything about the color?
posted by Lutoslawski at 1:44 PM on January 14, 2012

Or could it be Portland's Migration Brewing, Nor'Easter Belgian Strong Ale?

Migration Brewery • Nor’Easter
Belgian Strong Ale [Belgian Ale] • ABV: 10.0% • IBUs: 30
This medium bodied, light copper colored Belgian Strong Ale is made with fresh New England maple syrup. The full palette of flavor is highlighted by a slight sweetness coupled with subtle smokey, woody undertones. Built on Belgian Pilsner, Munich, Biscuit and aromatic malts and rounded out with Noble hops, this beer is robust and delicious.

posted by Lutoslawski at 1:49 PM on January 14, 2012 [6 favorites]

Dang, that was totally it.

Now I just need to figure out how to get it to the new homestead in Portland, Maine.
posted by furnace.heart at 1:52 PM on January 14, 2012

It might be tough! Looks like it was a seasonal thing, and I've only ever seen Migration at taps around Portland, and never seen it bottled. But it might be worth shooting them an email and asking.
posted by Lutoslawski at 1:53 PM on January 14, 2012

Talk to the nice folks at Novare Res. If they can't get it, they can probably find something similar.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 2:43 PM on January 14, 2012 [2 favorites]

You may be able to work out a trade with somebody in PDX, for example via the trading forum on BeerAdvocate.com. This is a legally very dark gray area.
posted by knile at 1:47 AM on January 15, 2012 [1 favorite]

« Older I want to buy a $12 item of cl...   |  A friend of a friend is a pain... Newer »