Tracking my dog walks across the country.

I have a fitbit. I have a dog. I would like to make a map of Canada displaying the distance I have walked with said dog. I am completely incapable of anything technical. Help me out?

I'd like to track in distance the length I've walked with my dog (so far 201.21 miles). It is not supposed to be a representation of where we actually walked but I'd like to see how long it takes us to walk across my country.

I have no idea how to do this. I looked up previous questions on GPS mapping and it just confused me. I just want to be able to put a landmark at a certain distance (maybe with a date marker as well) and see where in the country I've gone.

Is there a super simple way to do this?
posted by kanata to Technology (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I asked a very similar question a while back; it's possible that some of the answers there might be of use.
posted by Forktine at 10:48 AM on January 14, 2012

If I understand the question correctly, this should work...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
posted by ill13 at 11:47 AM on January 14, 2012

Something pretty much exactly like this has been on my "someday" projects lists for a year or two now, at least. Now that I've got my own fitbit, maybe I'll look into resurrecting it. As I recall, I had the start of some code written. I'll see if I can find my notes.
posted by hades at 12:42 AM on January 15, 2012

If you ever do develop it hades please let me know.

I tried gmap-pedometer but it just crashes for me.

So far the best bet looks like using Google Maps and just getting driving directions to towns I think make the distance as I go across the country.
posted by kanata at 9:40 AM on January 15, 2012

Try this.

http://whosquick.com/RunViz.html

Pick a location (say, your home) and type in a distance and it will plot a circle on the map showing how far away you'd get if you cover that distance.

It is a work in progress it seems. When I first saw it, it was just plotting circles, now it says it can alternately plot routes on roads (though that didn't work for me).
posted by gspm at 12:17 PM on January 16, 2012

« Older I used to suffer from tendonit...   |   I have a row of cypress trees... Newer »