Title of Short Story about a soldier made up of prosthetics?
January 12, 2012 11:43 AM Subscribe
I can't remember the name of a short story about a man who was made up almost entirely of artificial body parts.
posted by Julnyes to media & arts (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
It is a short story and the main points I can remember are:
1. It is set in Great Britain in the 19th? Century.
2. It is told from the point of view of a person who discovers the truth about the "fake man"
3. The fake man has a huge voice, barrel chest, beautiful hair, etc. and served in a war - a colonial type war in Africa I think? I don't remember.
4. The protagonist goes to the man's house one morning to talk to him and sees the man's servant helping the man put himself together. He lost his legs in the war and had a fake chest and a voice box to make his voice sound commanding. He is in fact a miserable little lump of a thing.
5. I think the title is something like "The Man Who Wasn't There", but not that exactly and it isn't something written recently.