Looking for animation technique from old Disney nature movies

Please help me find an example of a paint-in-the-opening-scene animation effect.

When I was in grade school in the 1970's, I saw a number of films that featured a certain animation effect. I believe these were nature films, maybe Disney nature films?

In the opening sequence, a paint brush moves across the screen. As the paint flows off the brush, a full color scene appears on the screen. I believe that when the scene is fully painted in, it comes to life and starts to move.

Is there a name for this animation technique? Can you point me to some examples online?
posted by alms to Media & Arts (6 answers total)

It's a form of wipe transition.

Probably created (if I were going to make it myself) by animating a paintbrush that uses green ink. Then I'd import the animation into after effects and put it on a layer on top of the video you want to be "painted" on. From there I would just key out the green.

It's a green screen technique.
posted by royalsong at 8:38 AM on January 12, 2012

A famous one (although one that does not resolve to live action) is Disney's Aquarela do Brasil (Watercolor of Brasil).
posted by TheWhiteSkull at 8:51 AM on January 12, 2012

These are great. I'd appreciate additional examples if anyone has them, and further discussion of the technique (e.g. if it has a more specific name).
posted by alms at 10:11 AM on January 12, 2012

HERE and a description of it here and additional links may help you define it.
posted by carpediem at 4:04 AM on January 13, 2012

*whoops, apologies, I just caught the detail that you wanted Disney films only...
posted by carpediem at 4:05 AM on January 13, 2012

Thanks, CarpeDiem, this is great. Just to be clear I'm not restricting this to Disney. I'm happy to see anything that uses this technique, or descriptions of it.
posted by alms at 6:24 AM on January 13, 2012

« Older After months of rambling on th...   |  People who have used Rosetta S... Newer »