Moving from the US to Switzerland for work - what should I know?
January 9, 2012 11:28 AM Subscribe
I'm looking at a potential job in Berne/Neuchatel, Switzerland, and it would involve relocating my wife and 5 year old child. Does anyone have experience with relocating from the US to Switzerland, or any thoughts on life in Switzerland that they'd could share?
posted by scblackman to travel & transportation around Switzerland (12 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I'm a physician-scientist working for a large company, with the potential to move to a company whose European HQ is in Neuchatel. My wife is a nurse anesthetist, and my daughter is 5. I think it'd be a great adventure for us, and a great experience for my daughter. Assume that I'd be compensated at a respectable level (and hopefully in Swiss Francs), so money is probably not a huge issue - I was just in Geneva, so I know how far a US dollar goes in Switzerland.
My bigger questions are:
- Could my wife, who doesn't speak anything other than English, get by on a day-to-day basis?
- Could a nurse care for patients even if she only speaks English?
- How would a 5 y/o adapt (I suspect she'd be fine, but would like to hear the experience of others, if possible)
- How do the people tolerate "outsiders" (e.g., Americans)? Is the culture welcoming?
- What would schools be like for a 5 year old? My daughter goes to a Waldorf school her in the US, and we love the approach. Anything comparable?
- Housing: tiny? modest?
- Pets: Can we bring our dog and 2 cats over with us?
- Weather: thoughts?
If you have experience in this area and would be willing to let me pepper you with questions for 20 minutes on the phone, please let me know. I'd be grateful.